New blog picture

Information for use and guidelines of all forums. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

mjq424
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: Alot more than I should

New blog picture

Postby mjq424 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:04 am

I like the new pic "enticing" users to come for help here:

Now I know where to go for help! ;) myslvd

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: New blog picture

Postby TeMerc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:35 am

mjq424 wrote:I like the new pic "enticing" users to come for help here:

Now I know where to go for help! ;) myslvd
Yes, thanks go to gimpguy for that, as I asked him to come up with something that would catch the eye.

I've actually inserted it onto each and every page on the main site as well.

I was actually very tempted to also add 'no 3 day bump threads', no '5 day bump threads', 'no waiting for days on end to get your log looked at'. But the button would have taken over the whole page. rofl

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:20 am

And I'll add that I'm in the minority when it comes to offering users an alternative source, meaning perhaps listing other forums for assistance when certain forums are buried with logs.

I've brought it up on two occasions in back rooms and was given some pretty lame excuses for not doing it, tho one owner pretty much said they were more concerned about a donation slipping by than helping users in a timely fashion, which is what I suspected was the real reason. It was also alluded to that the help he'd seen at other forums was not up to par, which in and of itself opens up a whole other can of worms.

It's a shame that it's come to that. IMHO, if that's where you are in running a site, then you need to step back and re-evaluate why you got into doing this, helping people, in the first place.

And I saw a thread on a forum where when a user complained about his log getting overlooked, the user was directed to the reasons he was overlooked, sort of blaming him, which is no way to handle that type of situation.

You apologize, tell 'em you're trying harder, not tell them that it was they're fault. That'll just piss 'em off more.

But like i said, I'm pretty much a single voice in this opinion. Must be some sort of personality flaw. ;)

mjq424
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby mjq424 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:47 am

Lol. I understand where you're coming from for this. Having read through the ASAP charter and through the (limited) info on the UNITE website, they do say that the whole point of it is to take up the slack when other forums are swamped/(D)DoS'd ((O

You do seem to be the only "helper" on this forum, is that your policy? Or is it just that you take what you can and refer people if necessary?

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:38 am

mjq424 wrote:Lol. I understand where you're coming from for this. Having read through the ASAP charter and through the (limited) info on the UNITE website, they do say that the whole point of it is to take up the slack when other forums are swamped/(D)DoS'd ((O

You do seem to be the only "helper" on this forum, is that your policy? Or is it just that you take what you can and refer people if necessary?
I don't have access to UNITE, I applied, but told them I wouldn't be any sort of contributory member, so I guess they just didn't bother replying. ?>!

And I do the logs here primarily because I can handle any logs that come in. I don't need to refer anyone else where as there is never a waiting period. I can handle whatever comes in regardless of amount. If need be I can cut back over at Cexx and maybe some other areas where I spend time. But for this forum, you'll never see a waiting time such as other places. I'll close that forum and refer users to other sites I know can handle some over flow until such a time I can get users replied to in what I feel is a timely fashion.

I do occasionally ask Blender to step in, but that's pretty rare usually in some real complicated infection. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm in over my head by any stretch as I'm well aware of my strong points and limitations. ((O

And for the times I'm away from home for extended periods, like for days, which is also pretty rare, I'll ask either Steven or JeanInMontana to watch that forum. They'd also be the first ones I'd ask to help out here if I got swamped. hedbngr

That's a big if tho. ;)

Well enough 2blahs 2blahs .... :lol:

mjq424
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby mjq424 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:05 am

TeMerc wrote:I don't have access to UNITE, I applied, but told them I wouldn't be any sort of contributory member, so I guess they just didn't bother replying. ?>!
Lol. Their loss!

I totally agree with you there though. I would think that the maximum, acceptable wait time for a log to get answered would have to be 24hrs if a forum was busy.

When I first joined Malware Removal about 1yr ago, there was rarely any more than 2 pages of logs and probably only a few unanswered logs. There does seem to have been a massive increase in the number of logs now.

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:05 am

Btw, thanks for noticing this new button, I was curious if anyone was gonna see it. It didn't take long, just a couple of hours for you to comment.

I also have it stuck in my pbWiki page, my MSNSpaces page and finally, of course my old MSN group page

Now lest see if droves of people come in for malware help. rofl

And I've moved this thread to ' Site Announcements\Acknowledgments'.

mjq424
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby mjq424 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:25 am

Lol. No worries. Being a regular reader of your blog it doesn't take much to see changes! Keep up the good work t*u

Return to “Site Announcements\Acknowledgments”