WARNING: Fraudulent "international patent" invoices

Discussions of all Adware-Spyware-Malware related topics to include all security products users may have concerns with.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:19 pm

WIPO have previously warned of fake companies issuing fraudulent invoices for "Registration of International Patent" and such like over the years, but sadly, these are not surprisingly, still being received by potential victims, some of who will already know they are fraudulent and just ignore and/or report them, and others that sadly, don't and will simply pay whatever the invoice asks, which can be in excess of 1000 euros.

A friend has recently sent me examples of fraudulent invoices received, and I thought I'd put out a warning (albeit probably not much use for anyone other than those reading this blog, but perhaps the warning will spread to other more popular sites etc).

Although the names of the fake companies varies, so far, a few things have remained constant - namely, the location (in the case of the examples I've been sent, the location has always been Czech Republic, though this is likely a shell company, if anything at all), and bank the criminals are using (Unicredit, which is a legitimate bank). IBAN/account numbera, PO Box numbers etc, are all different depending on the company name.

http://hphosts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/w ... atent.html
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

Spudz
Area Of Expertise: General guidance and advice
experience: Not only can I turn PC on, I know most of its functions too
PC time: Alot more than I should

Re: WARNING: Fraudulent "international patent" invoices

Postby Spudz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:41 pm

MysteryFCM wrote:some of who will already know they are fraudulent and just ignore and/or report them, and others that sadly, don't and will simply pay whatever the invoice asks, which can be in excess of 1000 euros.

Any company which pays on these fraudulent invoices need to seriously consider a change of staff and revamp of procedures within their accounts/finance department. In the company's I have worked for in the past, there was strict measures to account for every penny and no one person had the authority to release funds (took 2 signatories and approval from finance/accounts department (at least)) untill several procedures were first completed ie: the invoice went up the chain then was double checked to ensure accuracy and payment was exact. IMO there is simply no excuse for being scammed and paying the fraudulent invoice. Someone was not doing their job.
Spam - Uninteresting garbage quickly deleted.
Spammer - A parasitic worm intent on creating internet misery.

Return to “Countermeasures Discussions\News”