Please recommend a good AntiVirus for my system

All things related to Firewalls and Anti Virus.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

experience: Not only can I turn PC on, I know most of its functions too
PC time: More than 4 hours a day

Please recommend a good AntiVirus for my system

Postby dedeamber » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi, My computer is just a couple months old. It is an Hp Pavilion Elite 64 bit. I started off with Norton Security Suite and even purchased Norton Security suite 2009 and it just froze up my pc constantly and I finally un-installed it. Then I purchased Avira AntiVir Premium and it runs fine for a week or so then I lose my MailGuard protection. When I go to the control panel to repair or modify it, I recieve this message""The installation of LSP failed. Repair LSP stack and reinstall MailGuard". I have done this so many times that it's just becoming pointless. I have even un-installed and installed the software. Can you please recommend an Anti Virus software that may work for me. I also have SpySweeper installed and it is working fine. Right now I will leave AntiVir on my machine until I hear from you. I was looking at quite a few such as Kaspersky, NOD32 etc but I am sure with all your experience you may be able to recommend a compatible one. Just an Ant Virus would be fine rather then a suite. Thank you.

Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent
Area Of Expertise: More tinkering in hardware than software
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: Alot more than I should

Re: Please recommend a good AntiVirus for my system

Postby Mindblower » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Hello dedeamber. If you're just looking for a simple a/v program and not a combo (firewall, anti-spam, etc.. typically known as Suites), there are many good selections, both in the Freeware and Paid versions. I can only recommend one Avast!, since I prefer to use Suites myself, but am using the simple free version on one computer. Been doing so for a few months and it's not let me down, have no glitches that I'm aware of, so that's my choice. I'll be giving Viper (another Suite) a try next year when one of my subscriptions runs its course, Mindblower!
A converted Windows 8 user (using third party programs to ease the transition)

Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Please recommend a good AntiVirus for my system

Postby TeMerc » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:39 pm

The big problem here of course is 64bit. You have very limited choices. And you've already run thru some.

I know many MVPs running the ESET Nod32 and like it very much.

There are a few more on Jespers Blog. He is an MVP who has done some homework on the 64 platform.

Be sure to read comments, there one can usually find even more info.

As a side note, he even referenced this site in an article he wrote on The Register on XP Antivirus 2008. I still get hits every month from that one.

Return to “Firewalls and Anti-Virus\Trojans\Worms Related”