Microsoft Kills OneCare, Replaces it with Morro

All things related to Firewalls and Anti Virus.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

SpySentinel
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: About 3 hours a day

Microsoft Kills OneCare, Replaces it with Morro

Postby SpySentinel » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Microsoft has given up on its OneCare security suite and plans to introduce a free security pack, code-named Morro.

The new offering will become available in the second half of 2009 and will provide protection from viruses, spyware, rootkits and trojans. Morro will be available as a stand-alone download and offer malware protection for the Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Read the Full Story
-SpySentinel TIC Moderator

Proud Graduate of GeekU - Learn how to remove malware from the best

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Microsoft Kills OneCare, Replaces it with Morro

Postby TeMerc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:47 am

Still more questions than answers about Microsoft Morro

Microsoft’s announcement this week of plans for a new, free antimalware service — and the end of life of its Windows Live OneCare product — has spawned a bunch of new questions among customers, partners and industry watchers

Over the past couple of days, I had a chance to ask Microsoft a few more questions about the disappearance of OneCare and sudden appearance of Morro (a codename and service that no one I’ve spoken with has heard a peep about until this week).

Q: Was anyone threatening MS with a lawsuit (antitrust or otherwise) over OneCare? Is that why Microsoft is dropping the product?

A:
The decision to discontinue sales of OneCare and distribute a free antimalware product, code named “Morro,” was made for sound business reasons and was not driven by any legal concerns–litigation or otherwise.

Q: Will Morro work with Windows Defender? Will it replace Defender? Will Defender still be “part” of Windows 7?

A:
This announcement does not impact Defender. Windows Defender detects and removes known spyware only. Windows Defender does not protect against the full breadth of malicious software, and specifically does not prevent viruses, worms, Trojans, and other malicious software from infecting your machine. The new no-cost solution will be a comprehensive antimalware solution.

nwz Continued @ All About Microsoft

Return to “Firewalls and Anti-Virus\Trojans\Worms Related”