Spyware Guard or Disregard?

All things related to Firewalls and Anti Virus.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

John Hebard

Spyware Guard or Disregard?

Postby John Hebard » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:33 pm

During a routine update of my security software, the Spyware Guard software that cloaks its icon within the hidden part of my toolbar came to mind (for some unknown reason). I recalled the difficulty that I used to have attempting to update the software. It seemed that no matter when I sought an update, the reply was always "no update available". Noting that the last update I had was January, 2004, I thought I would give it a try again. Well, guess what? Yup! "no update available". Okay, perhaps my 2.2 version is old as the hills (as am I) so I googled "Spyware Guard" for the availability of a new version. Holy smokes! Page 1 of the hits were nothing but "How to remove Spyware Guard 2009", "How to remove Spyware Guard 2008" and so on.

I get the distinct impression that I should disregard Spyware Guard. Is this a correct assessment? Is the software of little value compared to others?

Thanks, in advance, for any response that anyone is willing to make.
"Old John from redneck country"

experience: Not only can I turn PC on, I know most of its functions too
PC time: Alot more than I should

Re: Spyware Guard or Disregard?

Postby Mystery » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:20 am

I guess our experts will be able to provide you with a better answer, but the homepage of the product says:

Why is the most recent database update for SpywareGuard dated 2004?
Some of SpywareGuard's strongest protection is its Browser Hijacking Protection, which is a behavior-based defense. It doesn't need any sort of definition updates, and is still as effective (and powerful) as it was on the day of release.

But I cannot judge its effectivity ?>!
Why do geeks think Halloween and Christmas occur on the same day?
Because 31oct = 25dec ;)

Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Spyware Guard or Disregard?

Postby TeMerc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:29 am

They had said there was a new version coming back in '05 I think. Should be some piece when it's done.

I don't think the tool is worth having. There isn't much that it offers that isn't available with other tools. And most of them are updated

Return to “Firewalls and Anti-Virus\Trojans\Worms Related”