NIS 2011 Died - Can't Re-Install

All things related to Firewalls and Anti Virus.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

OnThePike
Area Of Expertise: Trashing other's code!
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

NIS 2011 Died - Can't Re-Install

Postby OnThePike » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:11 am

Hey all,

I think the bedroom PC has an issue. I tried updating NIS to 2011, but received an error message indicating it failed. After running and jumping through Symantic hoops, I used their tool to uninstall it completely. Then purged, rebooted, and attempted to install a clean version. Another failure -- NIS could not be installed.

I tried their "chat help" but the guy on the other end of the line didn't even know which tray menu icon belonged to Norton, so... ya know.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent
Area Of Expertise: More tinkering in hardware than software
PC time: Alot more than I should

Re: NIS 2011 Died - Can't Re-Install

Postby Mindblower » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:20 am

Looks like you did everything correctly. Try to d/l another copy (but for safety reasons, don't use this computer) and see if this helps you out. Also. when installing, safer to INSTALL when you're OFFLINE, Mindblower!
A converted Windows 8 user (using third party programs to ease the transition)

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security

Postby TeMerc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:55 am

OnThePike wrote:Hey all,

I think the bedroom PC has an issue. I tried updating NIS to 2011, but received an error message indicating it failed. After running and jumping through Symantic hoops, I used their tool to uninstall it completely. Then purged, rebooted, and attempted to install a clean version. Another failure -- NIS could not be installed.

I tried their "chat help" but the guy on the other end of the line didn't even know which tray menu icon belonged to Norton, so... ya know.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

What's the exact error? Did you search their FAQ section?

OnThePike

Postby OnThePike » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:42 pm

There's a new issue today. That machine can't connect to the internet (though it is hard wired directly to the router's Ethernet port), so I can't download the latest and greatest NIS from there, nor can I give any more details on those specific error messages because I'd removed NIS without copying down the exact error messages (duh).

I may wind up reformatting of reinstalling Windows. Not sure yet. First order of business is to find out why the net connection is now dead. Malware Bytes, SpyBot and WinPatrol all came back completely clean, so I guess I'll post back once I'm able to access Norton online again and re-download the latest version (again).

((O

Thanks
Jeff

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:38 pm

OnThePike wrote:There's a new issue today. That machine can't connect to the internet (though it is hard wired directly to the router's Ethernet port), so I can't download the latest and greatest NIS from there, nor can I give any more details on those specific error messages because I'd removed NIS without copying down the exact error messages (duh).

I may wind up reformatting of reinstalling Windows. Not sure yet. First order of business is to find out why the net connection is now dead. Malware Bytes, SpyBot and WinPatrol all came back completely clean, so I guess I'll post back once I'm able to access Norton online again and re-download the latest version (again).

((O

Thanks
Jeff

What happens when you try to connect? Error? Page not found? Did you run any connection diagnostics?

OnThePike

Postby OnThePike » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:40 pm

Well, it's a broadband connection, so it should always be "on". I don't try to connect to the internet, I simply open the browser and get Firefox's connection error. I also have a couple of apps in the systray that require an internet connection and receive popup notices that an internet connection isn't available.

So off to "Windows Diagnostics" which tells me there's no internet connection and suggests to fix itself. After it fixes itself, it returns a message that it couldn't connect to Microsoft, and of course, doesn't fix itself. I'd play that game twice more before walking away.

I wonder if NIS corrupted some file and took internet access with it? LOL

Windows Firewall was already disabled so that's not the problem. Any other ideas?

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:50 pm

OnThePike wrote:Well, it's a broadband connection, so it should always be "on". I don't try to connect to the internet, I simply open the browser and get Firefox's connection error. I also have a couple of apps in the systray that require an internet connection and receive popup notices that an internet connection isn't available.

So off to "Windows Diagnostics" which tells me there's no internet connection and suggests to fix itself. After it fixes itself, it returns a message that it couldn't connect to Microsoft, and of course, doesn't fix itself. I'd play that game twice more before walking away.

I wonder if NIS corrupted some file and took internet access with it? LOL

Windows Firewall was already disabled so that's not the problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks, try system restore:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_restore.htm

That may get the connection back.

Btw, can you ping any sites?

OnThePike

Postby OnThePike » Sun May 08, 2011 7:47 am

While I'm here, I figured I'd post an update and resolution to this.

After NIS dropped dead, many other programs and applications began sprouting errors, including Windows itself, and I wasn't sure where the problem was, but was then convinced it wasn't a NIS-specific issue, but a computer issue, possibly Windows itself, either corrupt or infected in some way.

Problem was, I couldn't successfully run any anti-spyware/anti-malware programs, as most programs would either throw an error message or simply not run at all. I tried using a thumb drive to run a scan but that too failed, so I thought I'd just reformat the drive and start fresh. This is a secondary computer, so there wasn't anything on it I really needed anyway. After a quick backup of drag and drop file dumping, I began the process of restoring the PC from the built-in HP backup (Drive D).

Well, after five unsuccessful attempts to reformat, with error messages ranging from "Illegal Windows Installation" messages, "Unlicensed Windows" error messages, "this, that the other" error messages and associated Windows audio "FAIL" tones, along with failure to register, failure to update and failure to do most everything else, I thought, okay, let's just dump Vista altogether and grab a new-install of Windows 7.

Of course, that too failed to install, and after attempting to install it, I was left with a permanent BSOD.

So now, after a few days of frustration (and oblivious ignorance as to why I didn't perform this task in the first place), I decided to run the built-in diagnostics. Lo and behold, a memory module failed the test.

At this point, I didn't care which module it was, I'd change them all, thinking if one could fail, they all could eventually fail. Plus, I'd want to at least match a pair, so I'd want at least 2 new cards. I bought four new modules, swapped them out, started the computer and successfully reinstalled Vista from the HP backup drive.

Eternally long and boring story short, I should have ran diagnostics before I decided to reformat and would have saved myself time, aggravation and the tedious task of reinstalling all my stuff.

Anyway, computer works almost perfectly now, aside from the fact that it no longer resumes from hibernation. For that, I just changed the power settings and it no longer hibernates. The lazy work around until I care enough to investigate further.

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent
Area Of Expertise: More tinkering in hardware than software
PC time: Alot more than I should

Postby Mindblower » Sun May 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Lived that story sort of with my first windows computer many years ago. Memory problems are a bitch to find / think of, and the wasted time; but it's great you solved the problem are shared your story. You never know if someone else will read it and save themselves some frustration, Mindblower!
A converted Windows 8 user (using third party programs to ease the transition)

OnThePike

Postby OnThePike » Sun May 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Yep. Well, live and learn, right? Dummy me!

I posted the resolution for exactly the reason you mention -- just in case someone comes along with similar issues. RUN DIAGNOSTICS!! Sometimes we forget the obvious. Well I did anyway!

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Sun May 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Wow, seems like a rough road for sure, but glad you got it sorted out.

Return to “Firewalls and Anti-Virus\Trojans\Worms Related”