Uninstalling Maxtor One Touch 4 Software

Anything goes, except politics and religion please.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

John Hebard

Uninstalling Maxtor One Touch 4 Software

Postby John Hebard » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:00 pm

After reasonable research on quality external hard drives, I decided that it was long over due for me to backup my entire PC ( OS, photos, music downloads, et al. ) When I found Seagate's Maxtor 750 GB "One Touch 4 Plus" for sale at Costco at an attractive price, I could not resist.

Several weeks ago, I performed what Seagate refers to as a "safety drill", the process by which one can backup the entire C drive. Having accomplished this, I felt at peace. That is, until last night when my PC began telling me that it could no longer detect the external drive. How odd, I thought, and proceeded to check my connections. All connections were in place but nothing that I could do would change the lack of detection. So.... I assumed that my well researched external drive with the 5 year warranty, somehow, became defective. CRAP! Okay, I'll return it to Costco and proceeded to remove the equipment and cords. Next, of course, was deleting the Maxtor Manager software, since I decided that I would not replace the Maxtor. NOT! Are you kidding me? Nothing that I could do would allow me to delete the software. No uninstall option, no listing in the "add/remove" programs and system restore would not restore to a date prior to my installing the software.

Okay, I know what to do. I'll go on line and find out how to do it. Well, that wasn't as easy as I thought. Despite a number of Googled hits on the subject of uninstalling maxtor manager software, I could not determine the safe and certain manner to get it off my machine. In one web site forum, a guy shared a response he received from Seagate Tech. Support advising him that he needed to uninstall XP service pack 2 with the external drive removed and then reinstall it.

I have some misgivings about doing that for fear of screwing up my XP operating system. Has anyone had this experience or otherwise can offer encouragement that it is safe to do this?

HELP!!
"Old John from redneck country"

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Uninstalling Maxtor One Touch 4 Software

Postby TeMerc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Wow, that sounds like a real nightmare John. You couldn't find anyone anywhere that uninstalled the software?

And why would anyone suggest such a drastic measure to remove their software, seems nuts to me.

If I get a chance I'll poke around some and see what I can find.

John Hebard

Postby John Hebard » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:00 pm

Thanks Tom! I am uncertain as to Seagate's motives for making it difficult to remove the software. Perhaps it is because of the drivers, I really don't know. It is dissapointing that I have had to experience a problem with the external drive. Aah, just MY luck. That's why I don't gamble.

John Hebard

Postby John Hebard » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:55 pm

UPDATE! Just FYI Tom so that I am not sending you on a "wild goose chase". It appears that I have been successful in deleting the Maxtor Manager software. I seem to recall, at one point, while trying to remove the software that a message appeared that said I could not delete it because if was in use. I got to thinking about that and went to my scotty dog to see what was listed @ startup. Sure enough, Maxtor was listed. I disabled it. I immediately got a message from Spybot asking if I wanted to allow the value change in the registry. I clicked yes. THEN I went into my program files and right clicked on the Maxtor folder and selected delete. By golly it was transferred to the recycle bin which I then emptied. I still had the desktop Icon so I deleted the shortcut. It appears that there is now no trace of the software on the C drive. So, either I have cleverly figured out how to get rid of it or, it is still lurking somewhere on my internal drive, invisibly, just waiting for the chance to pop up and Maxtor my factor. :lol:

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Postby TeMerc » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:35 am

Way to go John, nice work!! 1rokon chrz

Return to “Talk about whatever you like”