$13,394 for a Super PC!

Anything goes, except politics and religion please.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

Spudz
Area Of Expertise: General guidance and advice
experience: Not only can I turn PC on, I know most of its functions too
PC time: Alot more than I should

$13,394 for a Super PC!

Postby Spudz » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:40 pm

Wow, Please book me in for 2 ;)

November 2nd, 2009
Maingear unleashes Shift desktop, child-sized 'personal supercomputer' for $2,199 (or $13,394)
Posted by Andrew Nusca @ 6:50 am

Boutique computer maker Maingear on Monday unleashed its Shift desktop PC, a child-sized “everyday supercomputer” that marries extreme performance and upgradeability to industrial design for a barnburning rig that can handle the highest-definition media.

Or, as the company’s written in its marketing materials, “There’s a fine line between genius and insanity. We’ve just erased it.”

In a market crowded by players who use the same parts, Maingear’s trying to differentiate itself with style, case engineering and quality technical support.

On the style front, the company’s doing away with the blinking-lights-and-neon look of geeky gaming computers and ushering in an industrial look with straight lines and black-on-black aluminum attitude. In person, the Shift is a massive, steel-framed desktop tower — almost the size of a seated small child, from my visual guesstimate — and impressive in its footprint.

(It’s actually 24 inches tall, 8.6 inches wide and 21.5 inches deep.)

The folks at Maingear are quite fervent about case engineering, and the Shift continues that tradition with bottom to top airflow, aggressive liquid cooling and a 90-degree rotation of the motherboard. Further, the system is fairly future-proof, and offers user-accessible expansion slots, full eATX motherboard support, full sized 5.25” optical drives, multiple SATA hard drive configurations and up to two 2.5” HDDs in each 3.5” HDD drive bay.

Finally, as CTO Chris Morley mentioned in a ZDNet interview back in June, customer support is the way his company is differentiating itself from other boutique shops. Maingear says each Shift owner will be able to talk directly to the builder that assembled their system. They’ll also have virtual, private on-site support through an internal remote-desktop setup, as well as traditional on-site support when necessary.

Continues at ZDNet
Spam - Uninteresting garbage quickly deleted.
Spammer - A parasitic worm intent on creating internet misery.

Return to “Talk about whatever you like”