Al Qaeda Secret Code Broken

Anything goes, except politics and religion please.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

Spudz
Area Of Expertise: General guidance and advice
experience: Not only can I turn PC on, I know most of its functions too
PC time: Alot more than I should

Postby Spudz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:18 am

November 23, 2009

I would sure like to know more about this:

Top code-breakers at the Government Communications Headquarters in the United Kingdom have succeeded in breaking the secret language that has allowed imprisoned leaders of al-Qaida to keep in touch with other extremists in U.K. jails as well as 10,000 "sleeper agents" across the islands....

[...]

For six months, the code-breakers worked around the clock deciphering the code the three terrorists created.

Between them, the code-breakers speak all the dialects that form the basis for the code. Several of them have high-value skills in computer technology. The team worked closely with the U.S. National Security Agency and its station at Menwith Hill in the north of England. The identity of the code-breakers is so secret that not even their gender can be revealed.

"Like all good codes, the one they broke depended on substituting words, numbers or symbols for plain text. A single symbol could represent an idea or an entire message," said an intelligence source.

The code the terrorists devised consists of words chosen from no fewer than 20 dialects from Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan, Yemen and Sudan.

Inserted with the words ­ either before or after them ­ is local slang. The completed message is then buried in Islamic religious tracts.

Schneier Blog
Spam - Uninteresting garbage quickly deleted.
Spammer - A parasitic worm intent on creating internet misery.

Mystery

Re: Al Qaeda Secret Code Broken

Postby Mystery » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:06 am

I agree with the commentators on the article, why would they tell the whole world that they have broken it? hm?

Dunno, but this comment made me pensive:

Code: Select all

The only reason to tell the public they have broken the code, is if they are not able to break the code but want to stop people from using is.
Why do geeks think Halloween and Christmas occur on the same day?
Because 31oct = 25dec ;)

zaphod
Area Of Expertise: XP, PHP
experience: Just call me Mr. Gates
PC time: What else is there in life?

Postby zaphod » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Levels on levels of subterfuge.

Chances are most of the real cyphers these terrorists use, employ double (or more) XOR pads with a daily offset, and if needed a fresh pad could be downloaded one-shot over the web from an announcement of change-over in a previous cipher, as a kind of TKIP message protocol. NSA, and MI6, beware of communications that have gone before of the same data size. Might try pages out of the Quaran overlaid too, since they are a fixed, known set.

--/Paragraph about my own encryption algorithm struck for security/--

Let's face it, the snoops, have pushed the sneaks to the point where the snoops cannot hope to catch up. What is even sadder is the fact YOUR financial records are allowed to be passed at a much lower, easier to crack (rainbow tables), level of encryption than what a virtual retard could cook up in his basement. This is due to the ideal that if they they allowed normal people to communicate at a reduced level of privacy, the dangerous people would also communicate there. What ever retard cooked up that idea, is beyond me.

So when it comes to dealing with terrorists, I still believe an armed populace is it's own best defense, even on an airplane.

Zap :)
Get Protected, Stay Protected...
SpambotSecurity.com , The home of ZB Block

Spudz
Area Of Expertise: General guidance and advice

Postby Spudz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:40 am

I must admit that I find it hard to believe that GCHQ would release this info as I have worked with them in the past (years ago) and they were so tight-lipped on everything. Perhaps, as we are seeing more frequently with information leaks in governments and companies, they too have secumbered to the mole who thinks that releasing sensitive information is in the public interest. If and I say if GCHQ cracked these codes, this news will be a major setback to the security services and no-doubt someones head will be on the chopping board before long (when they catch them) and rightfully so too.
Spam - Uninteresting garbage quickly deleted.
Spammer - A parasitic worm intent on creating internet misery.

Return to “Talk about whatever you like”