SandBoxie

Freeware Testing\Evaluation & Feedback. Open for discussions related to all freeware apps. All freeware should be 'wares free', meaning no adware, spyware or malware. Any 'bundled extras' must be included in posts.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

Raid
Security Developer
Security Developer

SandBoxie

Postby Raid » Mon May 07, 2007 7:32 pm

I didn't know if this useful program was well known here or not. It would have come in very handy last night while I was searching the web. That'll teach me to browse with an older copy of firefox. :)

http://www.sandboxie.com/

Now, I know the program claims to put whatever program your your running in a completely safe sandbox environment, I suspect however, with the right malware, this isn't entirely true. So use it with caution as you would anything else.

Something neat of note!
After your done surfing the net looking for samples (if your like me), you can peek inside the sandbox file contents folder; every file it made contact with while your browser ran in the virtual session is copied here, perfectly maintained so you can study them.

For the rest of you, this probably doesn't matter, but as a developer, I found it very handy. You can always empty this when your finished. The changes stay as long as you don't delete the sandbox you created. You can create multiple sandboxes for testing different things.

JeanInMontana
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: More than 4 hours a day

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon May 07, 2007 10:57 pm

This is a beta program also. Just so it's known. I've used it and it seems quite stable but we like to make it known when the program is beta.
Image Image

Raid
Security Developer
Security Developer

Postby Raid » Tue May 08, 2007 11:20 pm

True, but I would classify it as a stable beta. I've been doing some rather intricate tests with it. :)

I really like the thing so far.

cconniejean
Security Researcher
Security Researcher
experience: Not only can I turn PC on, I know most of its functions too
PC time: More than 4 hours a day

Re: SandBoxie

Postby cconniejean » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:57 pm

I have used this program off and on for about two years, installed it.. uninstalled. Read many a security blog recommending sandboxie. Guess after awhile all this information sunk in. Recently I installed it back on..Glad I did.

I had something come through a third party ad somewhere, still haven't figured that part out yet. This was my first scare tactic from a piece of rouge software. At first I though it had gotten past sandbox, but after reviewing my screenshot I see it's just part of a fake internet explorer page still in my browser. I'm still a bit rattled. I usually keep all this stuff up a vURL ;)

"img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/cconniejean/scary1.gif"

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: SandBoxie

Postby TeMerc » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:36 pm

cconniejean wrote:I have used this program off and on for about two years, installed it.. uninstalled. Read many a security blog recommending sandboxie. Guess after awhile all this information sunk in. Recently I installed it back on..Glad I did.

I had something come through a third party ad somewhere, still haven't figured that part out yet. This was my first scare tactic from a piece of rouge software. At first I though it had gotten past sandbox, but after reviewing my screenshot I see it's just part of a fake internet explorer page still in my browser. I'm still a bit rattled. I usually keep all this stuff up a vURL ;)

"img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/cconniejean/scary1.gif"
There's only been one thing that got thru Sandboxie on me and that was Virut. I've all manner of other things tho, backdoors, spambots, rootkits, trojans, DNS changers and been able to just empty the sandbox and be on my merry way.

Return to “Freeware Research Center”