[INFO] WebGrid has now closed indefinitely

Freeware Testing\Evaluation & Feedback. Open for discussions related to all freeware apps. All freeware should be 'wares free', meaning no adware, spyware or malware. Any 'bundled extras' must be included in posts.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

[INFO] WebGrid has now closed indefinitely

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:18 pm

I'm sorry to say, after 9 years of selflessly serving the freeware community, my good friend Bob, has decided to close down WebGrid on an indefinate basis.

Part of the reason for this is due to FastHosts being a pain in the rear and deciding the site was using "too many resources" (interesting considering it worked perfectly for over 2 years without their having an issue). First they moved the site to a "probation server" and gave Bob 7 days to get it sorted out - we worked on it and tweaked it as much as we could.

http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2008/09/web ... itely.html
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: [INFO] WebGrid has now closed indefinitely

Postby TeMerc » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:32 pm

That's really too bad and it does not sound fair at all. !?~ Me thinks there are other forces, most likely $$ behind their decision. grgr

zaphod
Area Of Expertise: XP, PHP
experience: Just call me Mr. Gates

Postby zaphod » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:30 am

Methinks his host was too stupid to know how to optimize his tables occasionally.

I run 2 forums, and 3 sites on an aged PIII 930Mhz job, and it also serves as my proxy horizon for the rest of the network, and I chat on it, and play games on it, proxy skype through it, and it rarely sees over 50% CPU utilization (usually a 100% spike when a PHP script is running, but they are done in ~ 500ms usually).

I can't see how even a heavy use site could tax a modern era computer.

Zap hm?
Get Protected, Stay Protected...
SpambotSecurity.com , The home of ZB Block

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:45 am

For security reasons, NOTHING should be running on the same machine as your proxy (especially the websites themselves), that's just asking for trouble (ideally, the servers should be on a seperate machine and if possible, on a second subnet, with masked routing over to the one that has internet access, which would prevent their being compromised if the rest of the network was infected - and vica versa).
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

zaphod
Area Of Expertise: XP, PHP
experience: Just call me Mr. Gates

Postby zaphod » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:41 am

Well, it has seems to have worked so far, so good. That being about 4 years.

I have a router upstream of it playing hardwall, and a softwall running on the server machine, plus various other protections and process minders. The NIC that is exposed has no services listening to it other than the HTTP server, and the FTP server. The proxy is not even allowed to listen to the outbound NIC. There's not even ping or ident on it.

Also, MySQL is not allowed to listen to any ports, all communication between it, and the PHP processes are done along named pipes.

Even my NTP server is tcp outbound connects only, no inbound or UDP.

I know it's highly un-orthodox, but hey, I run the show out of my own bedroom, and between the 5 PCs, and the air conditioner, I am out of amperage. (I have to shut down the A/C to make coffee!).

Someday, I may tell you over the highly encrypted file transfer/chat system I use, under the moniker zaphodb777, more detail, but I think I have said enough in a public forum. :D

Zap :)
Get Protected, Stay Protected...
SpambotSecurity.com , The home of ZB Block

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:59 am

hehe ;)
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts