SpySweeper update causes problems

Discuss information regarding software or things in general from around the net.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

wiffle

SpySweeper update causes problems

Postby wiffle » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:42 am

Subject: RE: help w/SpySweeper
To: wiffle

To be honest I would inquire as to just how the fix they provided is going to return your system back to normal. And I’d want it in details too, not some generic reply.

At this point how can you trust them to fix the system, without proof they know exactly what went wrong? I’ve seen that tool used many times and even recommended it myself a few times, but I don’t recall any user having this sort ‘big’ problem. At least it is in my eyes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Temerc

I got a response from Webroot and wanted to get your opinion on a little sequencing. Here's what they said:

Hi,

Please download the cleanup tool (SSCCleanup.exe) from the link http://download.webroot.com/SSCCleanup.exe.

Click in the executable file to start the uninstallation process.

Once completed restart your computer and download the latest version of the Spy Sweeper program (5.8.1.55) which is also compatible with Vista 64-bit from the link provided below.

http://sales.webroot.com/downloads/regi ... etup_1.exe.

Your keycode for installation is SSFC-DIRI-AADG-VAIX-LMLK

Please write back to us if you still have any other problem.

Thank you once again for choosing Webroot software.

Do you think I should try sys restore on Safe Mode first, THEN the above? If sys restore/safe mode doesn't work, try last known good config before trying the above?

I know obviously nothing's guaranteed, just wondering what your thoughts are -- I guess essentially whether you think the SS fix they suggest will bring back the profiles (which would mean I wouldn't have to do the sys restore/last known good process, which given the trouble I'm initially having with sys restore I'm not optimistic about).

Thanks.

Here are a few links I found about sys restore:

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=54

Also, have you tried accessing sys restore on safe mode? See if that works.

Next thing I would try is using the ‘last good known configuration’ option which is presented as one of the boot options when in accessing boot up options after tapping F8.

Be sure all security software is disabled while using system restore as well. If you’re worried about being invaded, unplug the box.

Let me know how you fare.
To: temerc

I just tried it, but after I choose a date and restore point on the "Select A Restore Point" screen (the one with the calendar) and click "Next," I get to a screen titled "Confirm Restore Point Selection" with info about may take a while, will restart computer, close all open programs, etc. At the bottom are "Back," "Next," and "Cancel" buttons. When I click "Next," nothing happens. Back and Cancel both work, and Next animates like I'm pressing it, but as I say, nothing happens.

I googled this and found one or two entries from people who had a similar problem from like 2006, but no one seemed to hit on an answer.

Ideas? Thanks.

I wouldn’t wait on them, system restore is likely to be what they tell you first off, it’s the obvious first and easiest thing to try.

Let me know, I’m going to poke around some tonite to see if I can find any info on this problem

I didn't get a reply earlier, no - but if I don't hear back from Webroot soon I'll give Sys Restore a shot. Thanks.

Hey did you get any sort of reply from me earlier? My Outlook is saying I replied but I know I didn’t mean to because I wanted to do some more looking around. Anyhow, my first thought is to use system restore to try and get those profiles back. This should work. I emphisise should because sys restore doesn’t always work as it ought to.

So give that a shot and see what happens.
Subject: help w/SpySweeper

Hey temerc - you've given me invaluable assistance on a couple of occasions and I'm wondering if you might be able to help me out here. As you can see from the below e-mail I just sent to Webroot via their support site, I've been unable to get through to a live person on hold, and it's going to take 1-2 days for them to respond to this e-mail. Any thoughts/advice in the meantime? (For what it's worth, I followed all of the instructions you gave me after my most recent issues/problems and things have been great.)

Many thanks - forwarded e-mail follows below -

Email to Webroot:

Folks - first of all, I have been on hold on your phone support line for 40 minutes without speaking to someone.

Second, here is my problem: last week I received e-mails from Webroot announcing the upgrade of SpySweeper with Antivirus. This weekend I went to the Webroot site, and requested the update. I clicked the link in the e-mail that I then got, and ran the program. The installer got almost all the way through the update installation, but then I got an error message that said "another user is using SpySweeper. Please cancel the installation, close out of SpySweeper in that person's logon, and delete the SpySweeper program before re-installing."

So I went to my wife's logon, closed out of SpySweeper, and using the add/remove programs function from the control panel, deleted SpySweeper.

I then restarted the computer, and when I did, the computer could no longer locate any of our "profiles" - the only way we could get into Windows was for it to use a default profile. I've restarted a number of times and the system seems to be unable to locate those profiles.

That's the first problem. The second is that when I now go back into the original e-mail from webroot with the link to the update, the download screen is just stuck on "0% downloaded" - it doesn't seem to be able to access that page. I even went back to the Webroot site, re-requested the update, and tried the link in that e-mail, but I had no luck.

So I now have no profiles and no SpySweeper protection. And I've now been on phone hold for 45 minutes.

PLEASE HELP!

wiffle

Re: SpySweeper update causes problems

Postby wiffle » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 am

So last night I tried sys restore in safe mode and it worked - seemed to restore our profiles, everything back to normal. Interestingly, something strange was in fact going on with Sys Restore (obviously, since the "next" button in regular mode wasn't working), as even in safe mode there were no "Restore to" dates after the date I'd tried the SpySweeper update download.

SpySweeper also finished an installation once the sys restore restarted the system. I'm not at home, so I can't check to see which version it is (old or upgraded). I'll post again when I know. If it's the old version, I'm certainly going to be wary of trying to re-run the upgrade. Also holding off on Webroot's instructions for the time being - I agree that that advice was a little unhelpful, unspecific, and generic.

Thanks again.

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: SpySweeper update causes problems

Postby TeMerc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:49 am

Well, I'm glad sys restore seems to have made things back as they were.

I've done some searching but I've yet to find any other SS users who have experienced this same problem, but there are other problems out there for sure.

Not to pick on Webroot as all software can cause glitches.

Return to “General Software\Internet Discussion”