Outlook Help

Discuss information regarding software or things in general from around the net.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

borneseller

Outlook Help

Postby borneseller » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:38 am

First - - wanted to thank you for your help in eradicating the viruses from my computer - - you are a life saver!

Second - - I know this is a forum for viruses - - so if you can't help - - might you know where I could find help?

In my haste to clean absolutely everything unnecessary out of my computer - - I deleted my Mobile Me app - - trying to get rid of an annoying pop up - - and in the process I inadvertently deleted some key files from Outlook. Is there any way for me to restore Outlook to the state it was in prior to the deletion? Is there any way to restore?

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Outlook Help

Postby TeMerc » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:40 am

borneseller wrote:First - - wanted to thank you for your help in eradicating the viruses from my computer - - you are a life saver!

Second - - I know this is a forum for viruses - - so if you can't help - - might you know where I could find help?

In my haste to clean absolutely everything unnecessary out of my computer - - I deleted my Mobile Me app - - trying to get rid of an annoying pop up - - and in the process I inadvertently deleted some key files from Outlook. Is there any way for me to restore Outlook to the state it was in prior to the deletion? Is there any way to restore?
Do you know what files they were? Check the recycle bin and restore them if they're still in there.

Moving to proper forum

borneseller

Postby borneseller » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:52 am

Please close this topic.

In addition to inadvertently deleting files I also loaded McAfee Site Advisor - - and when I disabled that last night - - the content then became readable. (But to answer your question - - I have no idea about the files that were permanently erased - - they were HKEY numbers and also regular strings like 5693012-44325G32, etc. I will definitely be more careful moving forward when I use a registry cleaner or an uninstaller.)

Thank you for your attention on this - - apologize for any confusion.

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:49 am

Just an FYI, I NEVER recommend people use registry cleaners, for two main reasons;

1. The vast majority of those available, are dangerous snake oil (scams)
2. They're far too dangerous in the wrong (unexperienced) hands

With regards to Outlook, you'll find it easier and quicker to backup your PST, then re-run the Outlook installer and run a repair on it from there.
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

borneseller

Postby borneseller » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Wow - - I had no idea - - I will uninstall right now.

Can you advise on a the best way to clean my registry - - if there is such an animal?

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:54 pm

The best method to clean the registry, is to leave it alone.

If the system becomes unstable enough to make you think it needs the registry "cleaned", then I'd advise you re-install Windows instead.
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

borneseller

Postby borneseller » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:46 pm

OK - - thanks.

Return to “General Software\Internet Discussion”