Google wont search from home page after webroot spysweeper u

Discuss information regarding software or things in general from around the net.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

bluecoal

Google wont search from home page after webroot spysweeper u

Postby bluecoal » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:27 am

Approx 3 days ago a family member got some type of message indicating the need to upgrade spysweeper.

Last night when I tried to use the computer, I could not type anything in the google search box and get it to work. It prints some kind of very long string of gobbledygook across the little white search box at the top of explorer. (IE 8 and windows XP)

If i click on something that was already in my favorites list, google will go to that just fine. If I search in the google box from my Juno email home screen, I can get a list of search responses. But when I try to type something directly in the search box, I get no response.

Is there a setting (or settings) I can look for to change to make search work with the new Webroot product?

I played with system restore points to try to analyze the problem and I'm pretty sure that it is Webroot that caused the problem. As far as system restore is concerned, my experimentation overwrote my space where orderly daily restore points were listed on the calendar with a list of stuff all done last night and I am not sure now that I have an option to go back to before this upgrade was on. And if I do, I have misplaced the sleeve with the key for my 2011 renewal, so I am not able to reload the original version and run the upgrade again. Basically, going backward, if I can, will cost me this webroot install and I will have to buy a new one.

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Google wont search from home page after webroot spysweep

Postby TeMerc » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:05 am

Hi Bluecoal

Try opening SpySweeper and check the settings in the shields, see what's there. Maybe with the upgrade the changed a few default things, or added something they didn't tell you about for searches, like a toolbar.

Return to “General Software\Internet Discussion”