Make XP Like Vista Options

This forum is for tips, information and general news regarding Windows Vista.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Make XP Like Vista Options

Postby TeMerc » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:46 pm

I'm going to try and find as many things as I can to add to this thread which will make your XP have similar visual appearances as Vista does.

Get Vista Taskbar Thumbnail Previews in Windows XP
It was only a matter of time before people started cloning Windows Vista features and adding them into Windows XP. One of my favorite Vista features is the thumbnails that popup when you mouse over the taskbar. And now I can use them in XP as well.

The utility we’ll use is called Visual Tooltip, which is a hybrid dock / thumbnail applicaton. With a few tweaks to the settings, we can make it work just like Vista thumbnails.

Source: the How-To Geek

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:09 pm

Add Vista-like search capabilities to Windows XP
Takeaway: Sure, Vista has Instant Search. But Windows XP supports Windows Desktop Search, which provides similar capabilities. Deb Shinder offers this detailed look at how to obtain and install this free download and how to use it to find your files much more quickly than you can with XP's built-in search engine.

0-= Tech Republic

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:17 pm

From PC World
These tools add slick sidebars, Start menu enhancements, Taskbar tricks, and more -- without upgrading your OS.
  • WindowBlinds
  • Vista Start Menu SE
  • Desktop Sidebar
  • Folder Marker
  • FastFolder
  • JetStart Free
  • Visual Task Tips
  • LaunchBar Commander
0-= PC World Downloads

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:20 pm

Despite Windows Vista being out for a few months now, not everyone is ready or willing to make the big "switch" just yet. Some people are waiting for the time to buy a new PC, some are not upgrading because their hardware isn't up to it, and some well.....just don't want to. Well there's nothing wrong with wanting to stick with XP for a while, but maybe you would like to change the "look" of XP to more of a Vista "style".

The interest in making Windows XP look like Vista has been going on for a while, but I get asked to this day what is the best ways to change the desktop to look more like Vista. Some want just the visual style changed, and some want the entire look and feel of their desktop changed to reflect Vista. So I'm going to show you how to get a Vista-like desktop on Windows XP with minimal effort.

In this article, we'll explain the quickest and safest way to change Windows XP to look more like Windows Vista.

0-= WinCustomize Articles

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:23 pm

Vista Transformation Pack
I’m pretty sure you must know and have seen Windows Vista before. It looks really nice for major GUI updates. Many people who have seen it wish to get Vista-style looks for their operating system. It might sounds stupid to say this since you all know what it is but just bear it

This program will transform your Windows user interface to ultimate Windows Vista alike looks that everyone will never notice it’s the same old Windows XP (or 2003)
It can change such things as:
  • Boot screen
  • Welcome Screen / Logon Screen
  • New msstyles files (visual styles)
  • New desktop and file icons
  • New toolbar icons
  • Progress Dialogs
  • Sounds scheme
  • System Tray icons
  • New Wallpapers
  • Windows Media Player Skins
  • And much more
0-= Windows X's Shrine

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Tue May 29, 2007 4:37 pm

Launch programs, documents, folders, and bookmarks with just a few keystrokes.
Vista's new Start menu lets you hit the Windows key, type a few letters until a match to your application of choice is discovered, and then press for a quick launch.
If that sounds easier than digging through the Start menus and submenus and you don't want Vista right now (or you have Vista but want the Classic Start menu), check out Launchy, open-source software from Josh Karlin. Launchy stays out of your way (invisible), until you press - (or other hotkey combination you choose). A small, skinnable command-line window appears, and when you type a few letters, Launchy anticipates your target file and displays it (and other alternatives).
0-= Launchy @ PC World

gimpguy2000

Re: Make XP Like Vista Options

Postby gimpguy2000 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:47 pm

Well I was going to post X-shrine but see it's up there. I would like to mention that with some transformation packs, read carefully and backup everything before you use them as they can take your system down or at least make a monkey of it. ;) I had a minor issue with Shrine causing erratic slowdowns on my system, nothing earth shaking but it was enough to make me uninstall. However, it could have been an incompatibility on my machine at the time. It did look awesome :) Now that I have a new machine :) I may try it again being non-OEM.

Cheers,

Paul

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Make XP Like Vista Options

Postby TeMerc » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:19 pm

I would like to mention that with some transformation packs, read carefully and backup everything before you use them as they can take your system down or at least make a monkey of it.
That's always good advice for just about any new app you install.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Return to “Windows Vista”