21 months later, Vista is still more secure than XP

This forum is for tips, information and general news regarding Windows Vista.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

Security Pros: Is Vista More Secure In Your Experiances?

Oh heck yeah
60%
No, not really, pretty much the same as XP
40%
I haven't had enough 'hands on experiences' yet
No votes

Total votes: 5

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

21 months later, Vista is still more secure than XP

Postby TeMerc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:03 pm

Posted by Ed Bott @ 2:30 pm

Last October, roughly one year after the release to manufacturing of Windows Vista, I did a comparison of how well Windows Vista was living up to its promise of being more secure than its predecessor, Windows XP (see “One year later, Vista really is more secure”). My data source was the Microsoft Security Bulletin Search page, where I tallied up security bulletins rated Critical or Important for the two Windows versions. The result? Vista had an overwhelming edge over XP, with a mere 14 security updates compared to 41 for XP with Service Pack 2 during the same period.

Has Vista maintained its security edge in the succeeding nine months? The answer, it turns out, is yes, although the margin has narrowed. I repeated that previous experiment using data from November 2007 through July 2008. The totals are as follows (in both cases, I assume that the most recent service pack is installed, with Vista SP1 counted beginning in March 2008 and XP SP3 in May 2008):
  • Windows XP: 23
  • Windows Vista: 19
The grand total for the period from November 2006 through July 2008, again assuming the most recent service pack is installed:
  • Windows XP: 64
  • Windows Vista: 33
Over the 21-month period, that’s a monthly average of roughly 1.5 Critical or Important security updates for Vista and 3 for XP.

nwz Continued @ ZDNET

CD
Area Of Expertise: breaking stuff
experience: Not only can I turn PC on, I know most of its functions too
PC time: Alot more than I should

Re: 21 months later, Vista is still more secure than XP

Postby CD » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Still having the "most people will click on anything" problem.
((O
Maybe a future generation of computers should be tailored for more specific uses? One box for email & news, one for surfing, another for banking and commerce only.
- CD -
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Windows Vista”