TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Encrypt MSN Chat for Security and Privacy

Postby TeMerc » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:31 am

Did you know that when you chat with your friends using any instant messenger such as Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo Messenger, the conversation is being sent as clear text form which can be intercepted by sniffing the network data? I know many of you who work in office often talk to your friends using a messenger thinking that it's safe to reveal anything but it's not. Most company uses a server to share internet connection, so all traffic will go through the server first. If the administrator install a packet sniffer that is able to decode MSN packets on the server, the admin is able to intercept all messages in and out of MSN.

There are many encryption utilities but the one that works the best for me is Simp Pro/Lite created by Secway. SimpLite prevents eavesdroppers from reading your personal instant messenger conversations. There are 2 versions of Simp, the Lite and PRO. The PRO version is the shareware version of Simp and it supports all types of instant messengers. But if want to use it for free, you can use Simp Lite with the catch of only one product from the SimpLite family can be launched at the same time on your computer. Meaning if you're using SimpLite-MSN, you can't use SimpLite-Yahoo simultaneously.
0-= Ray CC Blog

Return to “IM Threat Center”