Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

chunkylover53@aol.com On AIM Is Not Simpsons Creator

Postby TeMerc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:27 pm

By Christopher Boyd on July 11, 2008 6:46 PM

Television often relies on fake codes, phone-numbers and addresses to make up part of their fictional worlds. Sometimes, it can go slightly wrong - how many people tried to call Doctor Who last week?

D'oh.

Actually, "D'oh" is rather appropriate here. In an old episode of The Simpsons, it was revealed that Chunkylover53[AT]aol.com was Homers Email address. Of course, every Simpsons fan with net access immediately added "Chunkylover53" to their AIM contact list. As this article points out....

Homer's e-mail address chunkylover53[AT]aol.com, as seen on EABF03, was registered by writer-producer Matt Selman, who also replied to e-mails from fans testing it. "He logged in the night that the episode aired and it was immediately filled with the maximum number of responses. He's tried to answer every one of them and then as soon as he answers a hundred, a hundred more pop in," Al Jean told the New York Post in January 2003.

What's interesting here is that as far as I'm aware (and please, correct me if I'm wrong), the AIM screen-name"Chunkylover53" is not necessarily connected to the "official" chunkylover53[AT]aol.com email address - anyone could have set up that AIM screen-name, using whatever EMail address they feel like. However, people will naturally add "Chunkylover53" to their AIM accounts thinking it will be the "real" Homer. This is where the problems set in.

The "Chunkylover53" AIM screen-name hasn't logged in for quite some time, apparently. Imagine the puzzled expressions worn by Simpsons fans when, all of a sudden, the account came back to life in the last few days with this in their "Away" message....

...yes, "Homer" has seemingly returned, and he comes bearing infection files!

0-= Continnued Analysis w\Screenshots @ Greynet Blog

Return to “IM Threat Center”