Don't know quite where to put this info![PATCH NOW!]

Look in this specific forum for newly found security threats which may not yet be covered by your usual security software

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

MalwareMutilator
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Don't know quite where to put this info![PATCH NOW!]

Postby MalwareMutilator » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:30 am

Today’s Windows update must be REALLY critical! I can’t navigate anywhere without being warned about updating my system!

George

Edited by TeMerc to make 'Global Announcment' and adjust title slightly. :mrgreen:
I’m proud to be a Senior malware fighter at Bleeping Computer.

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Don't know quite where to put this info!

Postby TeMerc » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:43 am

Yeah I had added it to the MS Updates\Bulletin thread but it seems to be a bigger deal than I originally thought.

Tho I did see one post that it wasn't quite the threat but I didn't read it. I'll have to try and find it.

MalwareMutilator
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby MalwareMutilator » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:11 am

Hey Tom,

I think so too. Below is what I get when I log in at school:

Important Announcement: All users MUST install their Windows Updates today. If you do not have Automatic Updates enabled, then please follow the instructions in this tutorial in order to do so. Once it is enabled, I then suggest you use Internet Explorer and visit http://www.windowsupdate.com and download the latest security and critical updates now instead of waiting for Automatic Updates to download them for you.

As of yesterday, Microsoft released a security update, outside of their normal second Tuesday of each the month schedule, due to a security vulnerability that affects Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003. The fact that they have released an update off of their normal schedule means that this vulnerabilty has the potential to cause wide spread computer infections. Due to this, we suggest that you install the security patch immediately.

If you have any questions regarding this vulnerability or installing the patch, please ask in this forum. Information about the vulnerability can be found here.
I’m proud to be a Senior malware fighter at Bleeping Computer.

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:26 pm

Data-Stealing Trojan Exploiting Just-Patched Windows Flaw

Microsoft Windows users who have not yet applied the security update that Redmond released yesterday should take a minute to do that now: Security experts are warning that at least one Trojan horse program with apparent spreading capabilities is in circulation, and that we are likely to see additional malware exploiting the flaw in the coming days.

The ThreatExpert Blog has the skinny on Gimmiv.A, a Trojan that appears to have worm-like ability to spread to other systems on a network. This is likely to be more of a threat for large, enterprise networks than for individual home users.

On an unpatched corporate network, all it would take is for an employee to plug an infected laptop into the network, and without firewalls enabled on each machine inside of the network or some type of host-based intrusion detection software running, that network could be in real trouble very quickly.

nwz Continued @ Security Fix

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Don't know quite where to put this info![PATCH NOW!]

Postby TeMerc » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:52 pm

Separate proofs-of-concept released after rushed Windows fix
Dan KaplanOctober 24, 2008

Researchers have published separate proof-of-concept exploits that take advantage of the Windows vulnerability for which Microsoft rushed a patch on Thursday.

The Windows Server service flaw, addressed on Thursday when Microsoft pushed out a rare, out-of-cycle fix, can be exploited by sending malicious Remote Procedure Calls (RPCs) to vulnerable systems. Microsoft said it was aware of limited attacks targeting the bug, which, if not patched quickly enough, could have resulted in a major worm attack.

"This is exactly the kind of bug that triggered the big RPC worms of old," said Bas Alberts, a senior researcher at Immunity, a Miami-based security consultancy, referring to attacks such as Blaster and Code Red.

Alberts said he doubted the vulnerability would turn into a major worm because internet service providers (ISPs) have gotten better at filtering file-sharing ports that might have allowed the attack to spread in the past.

"The only way I see that happening is if they start combining attacks, like using a client-side bug to hop onto the internal network and then spread from there," he said. "But it's going to be fairly tricky to propagate like that automatically. You're talking about fairly complex scenarios."

nwz Continued @ SC Magazine US

Return to “EMERGING SECURITY THREATS!”