Windows 7 FAQ & Wikipedia Page

This forum is for tips, news and information about the next generation of Windows, now officially named 'Windows 7' as of Oct 13

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Windows 7 FAQ & Wikipedia Page

Postby TeMerc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:53 pm

As Windows has already begun development for the next version of Windows, currently code named 'Windows 7', I'll keep this thread pertaining to info about it.

I'm actually pretty late to this game, but wtf....better late than never.

We'll start with Paul Thurrotte's 'Windows 7 FAQ'.
With Windows Vista finally behind us, it's time to turn our attention to the next Windows client release, which is currently codenamed Windows "7", though Microsoft has used other code-names, like "Vienna" and "Windows Seven" in the past. Despite an almost complete lack of verifiable information about this next major Windows release, there are at least two excellent reasons to begin discussing this project now:
    1. This Web site, the SuperSite for Windows, is dedicated to discussing upcoming Microsoft products, so it's only natural that I'd post a FAQ like this as soon as possible.

2. Microsoft isn't particularly interested in discussing Vienna. "The launch of Windows Vista was an incredibly exciting moment for our customers and partners around the world, and the company is focused on the value Windows Vista will bring to people today," Kevin Kutz, a Director in the Windows Client group at Microsoft said on February 13, 2007. "We are not giving official guidance to the public yet about the next version of Windows, other than that we're working on it. When we are ready, we will provide updates." This quote was provided after I wrote a WinInfo article denouncing recent news reports about Vienna, all of which provided absolutely no new information at all.
Clearly, what's needed is a central location for accurate information about Vienna. This is it.

Q: Is Microsoft working on an operating system after Windows Vista?
A: Yes. The next client version of Windows was originally codenamed "Blackcomb," though the company renamed it to "Windows Vienna" in early 2006 and to "Windows Seven" or "Windows 7" more recently.

Q: Why Windows 7?
Since Windows Vista is really Windows 6.0, Windows 7 will presumably be version 7.0.

Q: Is Windows 7 the final name?
No. Like Vienna, Windows 7 is just a codename and will likely change prior to the OS' official release.

Q: I heard that Windows Vista will be the last major OS release from Microsoft. Is that true?
A: No. Windows-based PCs will continue to form the center of our digital lifestyles, and as Microsoft executives have noted in recent days, there are still plenty of areas in which Microsoft can improve Windows. Some obvious examples include voice recognition and storage.

0-= Paul Thurrotte's' SuperSite

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Windows 7 Related

Postby TeMerc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Windows 7 (previously codenamed Blackcomb and Vienna) is scheduled to be the next major client version of Microsoft Windows, expected to be the successor of Windows Vista. Sources indicate that Windows 7 should be finished in the second half of 2009,[1] three years after Windows Vista.[2] The client versions of Windows 7 will ship in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions,[2] even though the server counterpart (which will succeed Windows Server 2008) will be exclusively 64-bit.[3]

Microsoft is maintaining a policy of silence concerning discussion of plans and aspirations for Windows 7 as they focus on the release and marketing of Windows Vista,[4] though some early details of various core operating system features have emerged. As a result, very little is known about the feature set, though public presentations from company officials have disseminated information about some features.
0-= Windows 7 Wikipedia Page

Return to “Windows 7”