Windows 7 setup secrets

This forum is for tips, news and information about the next generation of Windows, now officially named 'Windows 7' as of Oct 13

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Windows 7 setup secrets

Postby TeMerc » Sat May 02, 2009 1:11 am

May 1st, 2009
Posted by Ed Bott @ 12:24 am

On May 5, the general public will finally be allowed to download the official Windows 7 Release Candidate. It’s been up on BitTorrent networks for more than a week, and developers with MSDN or TechNet subscriptions have had access to it since early this morning. But those groups constitute a tiny fraction of the people who will be seeing the Windows 7 release candidate for the first time next week.

For the benefit of the early adopters and those who patiently wait, I’ve been gathering information on the right and wrong ways to set up Windows 7. For the past week or so I’ve been installing and upgrading the RC code on a wide variety of systems—notebooks and desktops, with and without touch and tablet capabilities, with and without TV tuners and Blu-ray drives, as clean installs and upgrades, in x86 and x64 flavors, documenting the process.

In this post, I want to share seven of the lessons I’ve learned along the way, including a few setup secrets that even some Windows experts don’t know about.
    Secret #1: Choose the right Setup option
    Secret #2: Start with a clean disk
    Secret #3: Back up your old drivers first
    Secret #4: Do a nondestructive clean install
    Secret #5: You need less disk space than you think
    Secret #6: Unblock the upgrade path for Windows 7 beta
    Secret #7: Unlock those extra editions
0-= Continued @ Ed Bott ZDNET

Return to “Windows 7”