Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

5 Things You Didn't Know About TV Digital Switchover

Postby TeMerc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:43 pm

By Ross Bonander

1- You don’t need an HDTV to survive the digital switchover
    The digital switchover will create digital television (DTV), which is merely the way you’ll get your television programming sent to you. Digital television comes in three quality levels: standard definition (SDTV), enhanced definition (EDTV) and high definition (HDTV). More.....
    2- The U.S. treasury made a killing off the digital switchover
    The digital switchover is being made in part because digital is more efficient -- it needs less bandwidth than analog to achieve the same things. As a consequence, a whole bunch of wavelength spectrum was freed up, which governments the world over have auctioned off to private (mostly wireless) companies. In the case of the U.S. government, it auctioned off 700MHz worth of bandwidth and made an absolute killing (almost $20 billion, which is double the reserve price). More.....
    3- Digital switchover converter coupons have an expiration date-90 days
    Another thing you didn’t know about the digital switchover is that the coupon program hasn’t gone smoothly.

The original deal was this: If you get TV over the air, using an antenna, you need a converter box. This box, connected to your TV, will be all you need to survive the digital switchover. More.....
    4- The digital switchover marks the extinction of television "snow"
    They say you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone, and this may hold true for one inescapable aspect of analog TV: snow.
    5- After the digital switchover, some HD content will be free
    The last thing you didn’t know about the digital switchover is that some premium content will be free.

Digital broadcasting has allowed for multicasting: multiple channels from a single network, each offering varied programming. For the four major networks, this has already meant broadcasting some shows in high definition. If you have an HDTV, this programming is free unlike, for instance, the History Channel’s HCHD or National Geographic’s NGHD, which is high definition content you have to pay for.
nwz Continued @ AskMen

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent
Area Of Expertise: More tinkering in hardware than software
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: Alot more than I should

Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About TV Digital Switchover

Postby Mindblower » Sat May 28, 2011 3:06 pm

The switch over to digital is about to hit most parts of Canada later this year. This has given folks with the old bulk TV sets time to get into gear (with falling prices) and acquire a new slim model. It has the converter built-in. Unlike in the USA, I don't believe we'll be seeing any coupons for converters. Most folks (they say), subscribe to Satellite or Cable, thus they don;t require a converter (since the signal is converted for 'em).

It's just those who live in remote areas (Canada is a vast country, severely less populated) and some homes (don't believe they have any true numbers) still receive over-the-air (via antenna) stations. Hell, I was one of those, receiving over 10 English stations (the bulk being American), till high speed Internet, and torrents changed my life. Ah well, it's change, and progress stomps on us all, Mindblower!
A converted Windows 8 user (using third party programs to ease the transition)

Spudz
Area Of Expertise: General guidance and advice
experience: Not only can I turn PC on, I know most of its functions too
PC time: Alot more than I should

Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About TV Digital Switchover

Postby Spudz » Sun May 29, 2011 6:06 am

We have switched over here in the UK. Can't say I noticed a vast difference and still use my old analogue TV upstairs, with a freeview digital box on top. Cheeper than buying a new TV with all the new mod cons and crap inside ;) The TV downstairs is the same but connected to satellite tv.

Yes, we have got rid of the snow problem that some experienced BUT digital is not without its own problems either. Bad weather will cause the channel to freeze, pictures warp, jumping of frames and even cut off. At least with the old system, you could watch the channel with snow on the screen and not lose track of the film. ;)
Spam - Uninteresting garbage quickly deleted.
Spammer - A parasitic worm intent on creating internet misery.

Return to “Movies, TV Other Media”