Do people still go to movie houses and why?

Post here about TV shows, movies and other types of media

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent
Area Of Expertise: More tinkering in hardware than software
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: Alot more than I should

Do people still go to movie houses and why?

Postby Mindblower » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:05 pm

They used to be nicely built theatres with a stage where a live performance could take place. There were balcony(s) and booths and the size was enormous, able to hold about 1500. But now thery are almost all gone and replaced with movie houses which pack less, but can show the same movie in several halls. The seats might have improved, as with the screens, but also has the price. It has risen to highs which only believe are still affordable.

But I degrease. The old fashioned (and extremely expensive) TV, or yesterday, has been replaced with larger modern versions. Yes the top of the line TV still retail in the thousands, but you can easily find a great deal for much less and a thiner, sleeker, less heavy unit and so on.

Today we have the ability for home entertainment, unlike that of the past, so why shell out good money for something you can purchase in a very short time (you can own a new release for about the cost of two people attending the cinema). And with on-line viewing, no wonder rental places are almost a thing of the past.

Long live torrents, Mindblower!
A converted Windows 8 user (using third party programs to ease the transition)

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Do people still go to movie houses and why?

Postby TeMerc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:20 pm

Yes, I still go.

I enjoy the 'bigness' of movies, especially ones with any special effects(most) but still enjoy others that not effects driven.

I also enjoy the somewhat 'bigness' of a 51" plasma TV with 6.1 surround sound for Blue Ray DVDs from my local BlockBuster store.

Torrents? No way, no how.

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:42 am

Nice to hear someone still supports movie houses and has a Blockbuster to rent from. They all dried up around here. Still has some small local outlets, but they mainly cater to foreign language films.

As for torrents, it's much better than on line streaming, and safer, if you assign another computer (not your primary) and have the assist from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Mindblower! chrz

Spudz
Area Of Expertise: General guidance and advice
experience: Not only can I turn PC on, I know most of its functions too

Postby Spudz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:13 pm

I am not a fan of torrents (illegal copyright downloading). If a film is worth viewing then it is worth paying for.

As for Cinema's (movie theatres) I have not been to one since the release of The Blair Witch Project which was the biggest waste of money and pile crap I ever saw. Going to the flicks here costs more than eating a meal in a resturant and at least I know the food will be very enjoyable ;)

We prefer to simply watch the films on Sky Satellite TV here with surround sound. Cheap, enjoyable, free food and drink, you don't get a butt cramp from the seats or have to negociate lunatic drivers exiting the car park when the film finishes.

Our neighbours subscribe to a film rental/streaming service for £10 a month which is better value for money than the local Blockbusters too.
Spam - Uninteresting garbage quickly deleted.
Spammer - A parasitic worm intent on creating internet misery.

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:00 pm

Spudz, not all torrents are illegal. Should have made myself clear that the torrents I d/l are TV shows, that are broadcast over the air (somewhere). Some in my area, others not. If I were not too lazy, I could record some and edit out the commercials, but why, when the work can be done by other gifted souls - which what nothing more than to help others.

As for the far away places, like England and Aussie land, I'd be in a big need of a fix. wrshp Some great shows never get across the ocean. It my opinion, if it's broadcast over the air, anywhere, then it's a legal obtainable show. YHOO

True there are many torrents that are pirated uploads, and the Internet does not distinguish the difference till a site is closed down. Plus each time one accesses a torrent site, their ip is stored for years, so there is a risk, (big yawn). [v

Find it difficult to remember the last good movie I saw that was recently. Seems the good ones are the oldies, Mindblower!

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:28 am

You are quite right, not all torrents are illegal but the vast majority of them are imo, in particular software and full length movie rips of the newest films on the circuit. That was what I was objecting to generally.

Docu and tv shows is another debate altogether. Where some are free to view others still maintain copyright in regards to distribution. It varies between countries and the releasing artist/company. I do not generally associate those shows with the likes of torrent software/film theft.

Admittedly, watching a show without the damn adverts in, is a real bonus. I also occasionally visit legal streaming sites (BBC, Sky, etc) to catch up on any shows I missed previously, when the notion stikes me. There are some good streaming sites showing shows in the US which I have at times visited too.

I think you would be well occupied with many shows here which never made it to the US or Canada that would satisfy your fix ;) British comedy is perhaps the best you can get. I will give the US their due, their humour in films is on par with some of the best British humour offers too. If you ever watched the US sitcom back in the 70's "All in the Family" and the dry humour from 'Archie Bunker' you would know what I mean by the US quickly catching up. ;)

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:28 am

Comedy is a lost art imo. As mentioned Archie Bunker is a classic. A few long series like MASH and Cheers (somewhat) and a recent Frasier. The Brits have it and I'd glad I can get PBS to air the shows. One of my all time #1 is Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. Sadly many Brit series are copied by the Yanks and only some truly succeed. Spooks, Pie in the Sky, Torchwood, City Homicide, Primeval, Sherlock, Death in Paradise, The Gray Line come to mind, but there are plenty more. Aussie for Strike Back, Rescue Special Ops, and Sea Patrol. Some are classics, and have inspired other series.

The best advantage of getting shows as torrents, is you can watch 'em at your convenience. Streaming shows, even with pause and replay options just does not cut it for me. Guess it all boils down to preference.

The recently uploaded movies are a big no no for me. They do hurt all the talented workers who put their soul into the making. Their salaries must be paid. Pity there were no royalties for many of the older shows which are still in syndication. The middle men are getting the money.

Not sure if there are any good recent movies floating around. Heard The Artist (a black and white no sound - just music) won for best movie. Does not fly for me. Dramas, like a bio, or documentary have a place, but when I want to be entertained, a prefer a good distraction, like the older Bond films.

So till the suits pass laws on what we can watch, I'm wired to the Internet, Mindblower!

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 am

Yes, Archie Bunker (All in the Family) was a US classic and I still wonder how much of the audience was paid to laugh at the very dry and unfunny humour! We watched it back then as there was (in holland) very little english programs on the TV at that time. I did enjoy some of the dutch and german dubbing of Star Trek Enterprise (Raumshiff Enterprise) especially the voice overs for Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock plus other characters. This brought an all new viewing experience to that series.

There has been some truelly wonderful new film releases recently that I would love to see but begrudge paying cinema prices. Will wait for them to drop in price on dvd or hit the movie channels on Sky, which should happen in the next 1-2 years. I can wait as there are many older ones I wanted to see which should be free viewing soon on the movie channels.

Did you ever get to see "One foot in the Grave"? Victor Meldrew being the lead character. Am sure you will find that very entertaining. It's on par with 'Yes Minister' and 'Yes Prime Minister'. Also, if you like sci-fi, you will enjoy "Red Dwarf".

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Never heard of "One foot in the Grave" but "Red Drawf" was cut from viewing on PBS back then. Might give it another look as a torrent, Mindblower!

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:03 am

Here is some info on One Foot in the Grave and another sitcom you would enjoy is Only Fools and Horses. Am sure you will find the free viewing of these two series easily.

ReleaseRoderick
experience: N00b...I know a lil bit
PC time: Over an hour a day, give or take

Postby ReleaseRoderick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 am

There was Steptoe and Son, a Galton and Simpson scripted comedy which became Sanford and Son in the U.S and Steefbeen an Zonon in Holland. But if you can get a grip on the BBC Comedy Playhouse series this was where O so many one-off episodes began that later became a series. Steptoe,Last of The Summer Wine to name but two. You can find more on You-Tube.

If l had to choose 2 things United Kingdom gave to the world, Comedy Playhouse and Radio Caroline would do nicely, thank you.
Love,Light and Peace
ian

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Steptoe and son was good back then. Others were "Love thy neighbour" and "Till Death do us Part" which did get much critisism for racisism but was very mild in comparison today. One of my favourites is "The Vicar of Dibley" with Dawn French as the female vicar.

Two good things which England took away: Guy Fawkes and the explosives he planted in Parliament ;)

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:50 am

I'll start watching the first season of "Only Fools and Horses" today. What about "Faulty Towers"? Talk about comedy. "Waiting for God" is an adults classic. Then "As Time Goes By" with Judy of Bond fame. One slap slit comedy "Are You Being Served" is on par with "The Three Stooges", both outdated, Mindblower!

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Sorry to say "Only Fools and Horses" did not interest me. Sounded much like "Coronation Street". But "One Foot in the Grave" is a hit. Finished the first season, but find it impossible to get beyond that. Will give it a wait, since that's what normally works, Mindblower!

ReleaseRoderick

Postby ReleaseRoderick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:43 am

"Waiting for God" Yes,as you say Mindblower...it is a classic. And Stephanie Cole was really age 48 at the time, some 20yrs younger than her opposite player. Ms Cole is also in Coronation St so l'm lead to believe, but then we must all put something away for our pension.
In Waiting for God(the title l thought was ill-founded)Sandra Payne was excellent. She played the squiffy and tranqualised Marion to a tee. Francis de la Tour had the same unique quality in her portrayal of Miss Jones in Rising Damp. They both played style-isd characters to perfection.
If you can grab Sandra Payne in Shelley opposite Hywell Bennet or Francis de la Tour please give them both a shot, l feel you will see some quality portrayal.
Surprisingly, l have not owned a television for many years nor have l visited a picture-drome(?) for many more. So what l talk about must be so many many moon aged.
Love,Light and Peace
ian

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks for the info. Checked and the shows are not available as torrents, but who knows? It's also possible no copies were saved, and thus they only exist as archives, Mindblower!

ReleaseRoderick

Postby ReleaseRoderick » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:32 am

It is true, there is precious little Shelley on YouTube either.
I shall search occasionally, maybe get lucky.

Does quality radio please you?
As l type on this Saturday morn 0800hrs British time there is Brian Matthew with Sounds of the Sixties. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_two
Just about the one progamme on BBC Radio 2 worth a listen.
Love,Light and Peace
ian

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:45 am

As a child, I enjoyed listening to Radio shows. Allowed the imagination to wander. Recently I saw a play as a radio show which was very nostalgic. Sadly, radio is nothing more than a distraction nowadays. It's down there with vinyl and beta tapes, Mindblower!

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:16 am

Just subscribed to Sky Movie channels (took the trial 3 month offer for £8) so am catching up on many of the movies during the last 3 years that I wanted to watch but never did as cinema's are no longer my cup of tea. :) You simply can't beat sitting in front of your own TV, sprawled out on the sofa (Settee/couch) with the kitchen close by for drinks and food when the urge hits you. All free :D

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:25 am

Well Spudz, I hope you find a few worthwhile movies to enjoy. As a kid, I'd head off to the local theatres almost every weekend to watch a movie. On average, it was 70 to 80 percent good to excellent. Lately, if I find a few percent, that is say 10 movies a year, I'm tickled pink. There is no more fun (enjoyment) with what is being cranked out.

I can find more true happiness watching commercial free TV shows. And as you so nicely mentioned, we can pause, make a pit stop, stuff our face, and enjoy a big screen event in the comfort of our home. No loud crowds, no standing in line, no broken chairs, no ......, just a nice relaxing day or evening, with a loved one, and the drink, well it's not kids cola for me, Mindblower!

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Actually there has been some fairly good ones I watched on Sky recently. Thor, Predators, Priest, Pirates of the Caribean 3 or is the latest 4. Still have a few to see dating from 2010/2011 when I remember to be downstairs to catch the start of them. The missus hog the box and I have to book in advance to see what I want ;) Must admit, I agree with you about the quality of most films being quick release and the special effects taking priority over any storyline. You just don't find any films today which leave the viewer on a string till the end without being able to guess the ending or the villain as in the film "10 Little Indians" (1965). That was a superb storyline.

Return to “Movies, TV Other Media”