IRL Driver Paul Dana Dies After Crash

Post all things related to any sports. If ESPN carries it, then it's a legit sport.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

JeanInMontana
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: More than 4 hours a day

IRL Driver Paul Dana Dies After Crash

Postby JeanInMontana » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:52 pm

IRL Driver Paul Dana Dies After Slamming Into Carpenter's Car During Warmup for Florida Race

By MIKE HARRIS AP Motorsports Writer

HOMESTEAD, Fla. Mar 26, 2006 (AP)— Driver Paul Dana died after a two-car crash Sunday during the warmup for the season-opening IRL IndyCar Series race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

The other driver, Ed Carpenter, was awake and alert at a Miami hospital, IRL officials said.

`*> Details Dana drove for Rahal Letterman Racing, owners David Letterman and Bobby Rahal. Both other cars they own were pulled from the race.

Image Image

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
PC time: What else is there in life?

Postby TeMerc » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:05 pm

Truely a sad day in motorsports, that being said......

I saw the clip and for the life of me I don't know why he was traveling as fast as he was and why his spotters didn't alert him to the location of the wrecked car.

That is common in all racing, the spotters tell you where the wrecks are and what the vehicles are doing, in so far as bouncing around and the like.

Someone screwed up there. And on top of that, I didn't realize when I saw the clip, it was just a pracitce run to boot. Even more caution is used for these trials most of the time.

Maybe the spotters are not used for practice. <?>

JeanInMontana
PC time: More than 4 hours a day

Postby JeanInMontana » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:05 pm

I have seen several reports now and no one knows why he didn't slow down. Caution lights were on and had been, spotters had said there was a wreck, communications were working. He passed two cars even. For some reason we will never know he didn't slow down.
Image Image

Return to “Sports...All Sports”