hi i am... new and think i have an infected computer

First time here? Give us an introduction and say 'Hi'.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

psychocandy

hi i am... new and think i have an infected computer

Postby psychocandy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:58 pm

hey folks,
i was referred to this forum by a google search after diagnosing that my computer was probably infected. hopefully you folks can help me solve my problem. in which case, i'll breathe a sigh of relief and then have a little bit of faith restored in the human race. strangers helping strangers. woo-hoo.

cheers... chrz

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: hi i am... new and think i have an infected computer

Postby TeMerc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:02 am

Hello and w^* to TeMerc Internet Countermeasures Forum and thanks for joining. 1rokon

What is it that makes you think your system is infected? What kind of symptoms are you experiencing?

psychocandy

Postby psychocandy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:16 pm

strange, i coulda sworn i posted in the HJT! help forum earlier this morning, but there's nothing from me in there.

anyway, my computer's running a little slower than usual. i think part of it has to do with comcast randomly turning down my connection speed (wtf!!!), a well as from being infected by something. furthermore, i can't access the Mcafee site. i tried to install some other anti-virus stuff because my subscription to Mcafee is lapsed. however i cannot install any other anti virus software unless i uninstall Mcafee. which i can't do because apparently i don't have the uninstaller. and i can't get the uninstaller because something is preventing me from accessing the Mcafee page. i get a "This action is not supported" message or something like that. sometimes an error code (51, i think). all this on blank web page with Mcafee.com or Mcafee.us.com in the browser.

i'm not much of tech geek, but i've done a few things:
*ran MalwareBytes, done a de-frag, looked in the Add/Remove Programs box.
*i tried to uninstall My Search Assistant or whatever that's called (that shady Dell program). though the program appears to be gone, it still shows up after the Add/Remove list gets populated. i'm pretty sure it's gone because i was experiencing some rather annoying redirecting when i clicked on links (esp. from a google search). this would usually occur maybe 1 out of 4 times i clicked on a link. and very frequently the first link i clicked on after a google search would redirect me to some annoying vaguely related to my search shopping site. this behaviour has stopped.

anyway, when i get back home tonight, i'll try reposting my HJT! and ActiveScan logs in the appropriate forum and see if i get any help there.

cheers,
-bean

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Postby TeMerc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:04 pm

OK, once you're home post those logs into the HijackThis forum as well as the Malwarebytes scan log too. Even if it didn't show any detections.

And for McAfee, here is the removal tool: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

We'll also deal with the junkware from Dell too.

Return to “Hi I am...........”