Hello to all

First time here? Give us an introduction and say 'Hi'.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

HelenG

Hello to all

Postby HelenG » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:38 am

Hi all.

I must admit I joined here because my usual screen name "Twistyd Morticia" is reported as being a spammer :( which I am not, I was directed here by hpHosts and TeMerc to ask for it to be removed from the spam lists, which I have in the other section.

Glad to be here though! I hate phishing, malware, spam etc (the irony!). So I enjoy badware busting - runs in the family. I was on hpHosts forum but could no longer login, thought I had forgot my password or something but I'm guessing it is because of the list thing. I have scanned my pc - which I do everyday and my son has us going through 2 routers, although I was poorly for a long time and never logged in anywhere / went online so I could have been hacked or somebody falsely used my name? Still puzzled over that ?>!

My real name is Helen, I'm 39, I live in the North West of England and I'm disabled so my computer is now my best friend. Only learned to use one in 2003.

Nice to meet you all anyway, hope I can help and looking forward to learning some new things whilst here, Helen G

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Hello to all

Postby TeMerc » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:29 am

w^* and thanks for joining(even if it was just to get delisted rofl)

Enjoy your stay with us hope to see you around and help us improve the site if you see something we're missing or something you'd like us to add.

If possible please take the time to check out our poll about how you found us 2blahs

Feeling friendly? Maybe you can tell us what your user name means. Some of us have interesting tales. 1rtfm

And if you're any kind of geek, maybe you've got a workstation you can show us a picture of. [;]

It's all about the community, which is you and we wouldn't be here without your participation. Don't feel too pressured now. rofl

Enjoy your stay with us. ><:

ReleaseRoderick
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: N00b...I know a lil bit
PC time: Over an hour a day, give or take

Postby ReleaseRoderick » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:43 am

Hi to yer! Welcome. I`m one the guys who gets in here to try to keep up with the info.I learn lots.
Reckon you must be Cumbria or Lancashire.

Enjoy the board,
Love,Light and Peace
ian
Love,Light and Peace
ian

HelenG

Postby HelenG » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:14 am

rofl TeMerc, I didn't just join here for that I promise, I hate spammers etc, they ruin a good thing. The internet is a lifeline for some us disabled folk and people spoiling it really annoys me.

ReleaseRoderick, I am from the Lancashire area although we have been 'moved' into Greater Manchester area as of late.

Thanks for having me.

Excuse the late reply but to be safe I have reformatted my pc, updated it (I never did my windows updates before :( I have now) and upped my security.

Thanks again, hope your all having happy holidays, peace out, Helen

wildman424
Countermeasures Team
Countermeasures Team
PC time: Alot more than I should

Postby wildman424 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:43 am

HelenG wrote:Excuse the late reply but to be safe I have reformatted my pc, updated it (I never did my windows updates before :( I have now) and upped my security.

Hello HelenG,
I noticed you said you never used Windows Update before d! keeping your computer and all your software up to date is critical to keeping it secure.There's always bad guys out there looking for a new software vulnerability to exploit, the updates released by Microsoft and other software vendors patch these flaws to protect your computer as well as patching other bugs in the software such as compatibly and performance issues.Out of date software is one of the biggest risk you can take. I recommend you go to your computer's Control Panel, open the Windows Security Center and verify that Automatic Updates is turned on and set to receive and install all future updates automatically.

autoupdate example (Medium).JPG

I'd like to point you to this article from NonSuch's Security Blog on the subject,
The Importance of Installing Security Updates

also read through Temerc's site you'll find a lot of very useful computer security infomation
Last edited by wildman424 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildman424
Malware Fighter in training
"A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted
to be that profound secret and mystery to every other."
-Charles Dickens

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent
Area Of Expertise: More tinkering in hardware than software
PC time: Alot more than I should

Postby Mindblower » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:32 pm

To HelenG and other newbies. When using the Internet, one needs to be aware or made aware of just how important software protection is for the computer. It's a topic that is harped about, but until those who give it little thought (or believe it will not happen to them, or it's no big deal, or use some other excuse to safely surf the Internet), unpleasant things WILL happen to them. FACT!

Do hope you protect yourself, and if you're not certain about how to protect, or have any question (no matter how lame you might consider them to be), it will only cost you the time it takes to pound on your keyboard with those questions. The answers are always FREE, Mindblower! >)(
A converted Windows 8 user (using third party programs to ease the transition)

Return to “Hi I am...........”