Integrating the SBST with Perl

Need help with fSpamList? Post here! (DO NOT post removal requests here)

Moderator: fspamlist

winracer

Integrating the SBST with Perl

Postby winracer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:28 am

I download the standalone version at http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Prod ... searchtool

and would like to Integrate it into my site so when a user registers it will check to see if they are in a spamm list. Also how would you add people/e-mails/usernames to the list, when you know they are spammers. I have users signing up on my site and I have to remove them. but if they where in the list they could not sign up.

My program on my website is written in perl and users information is stored in a flat file like password|username|typeuser|datasignedup|1stname|lastname|e-mailaddress|and so on

any thoughs, below is a spam e-mail that someone sent to all my users. In order for the person to do this they had to view my users ad one at a time on click reply to ad. So I am trying to find a way to stop this

Hello,
I am interested in immediate purchase of your item,but before i proceed on this transaction i will like to ask some question as follow. i can only raise cashier check or money order for the payment of your item so i will like to know if the item is still available and also if is in good condition? Please your answer on this, will enable me to issue your payment to you asap

1. Do you accept a ( Cashier Check / Money Order)as a mode of payment?

2. I will like you to contact! me to my personal email address which is
([EMAIL REMOVED])

3. Will you let a shipping company to come to your house for the pick up of the item?

4. Do get back to me with your contact info where you want the payment to address to

5. What is the firm! m price of the item?

6.Telephone:

Regards
Last edited by MysteryFCM on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic split from "[CODE] Spambot Search Tool" and user e-mail address removed from post

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [CODE] Spambot Search Tool

Postby MysteryFCM » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:17 am

winracer wrote:I download the standalone version at http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Prod ... searchtool

and would like to Integrate it into my site so when a user registers it will check to see if they are in a spamm list. Also how would you add people/e-mails/usernames to the list, when you know they are spammers. I have users signing up on my site and I have to remove them. but if they where in the list they could not sign up.

You can add any spammers that get through the filter, to the fSpamlist blacklist, this will then block all further attempts by them;

www.fspamlist.com

Note: An API key is required for this

winracer wrote:My program on my website is written in perl and users information is stored in a flat file like password|username|typeuser|datasignedup|1stname|lastname|e-mailaddress|and so on

Aslong as your server supports PHP, you could run the SBST via Perl code (I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Perl myself at present, so can't help with that). If you would like to convert the SBST itself to Perl, please feel free :)

winracer wrote:any thoughs, below is a spam e-mail that someone sent to all my users. In order for the person to do this they had to view my users ad one at a time on click reply to ad. So I am trying to find a way to stop this

The best way of preventing this, is by preventing the viewing of user profiles and/or contacting your users, until the person has passed a pre-specified post quota (i.e. stop them viewing the member profile, the individual members profiles, and turn off e-mails for them until they've made 10-20 posts on your forum or such?).

If your users data is stored in a flat file, and the file is located in the public section of your site (e.g. /htdocs/db.ext) without adequate security to prevent the viewing of it directly, theres little you can do to prevent them going directly to the DB itself (I always recommend DB's and such, are located outside of the web root where possible).

As an aside, I did find the following, which may be of interest to you?

http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/DAN/Net- ... /Client.pm
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

winracer

Postby winracer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:59 am

thanks I will review the PM file. I run a free classified ad website for my local area. I guess I really did not explain what I was looking for. I have two types of spammers.

one: type Register For An Account and place scam ads on. I get a e-mail telling me of new ads. but have to take a nap sometimes :)
I am hoping to find away so when a user trys to Register For An Account that it check a list of spammers. if not on list let them register. and if they register and I find out spammers I can ad them to a list.

two: every ad has a link in it that says E-Mail: "Reply to Ad " the scammer/spammers must click on every ad on view it to reply to it. they must have all the time in the world to do this. when they fill out this form they must put there e-mail address. so i am hoping to have it check the list of spammers also.

hope this explains in better detail.

thanks I did get An API key for all 3 sites

thanks for any help.

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:18 am

They don't actually need to physically view each advert to do this, chances are they've got a crawler and a spambot that does this for them (much like Google's crawler, except it'll have something like XRumer built in).

If you are able to, the first thing I'd suggest is moving the e-mail link, so it's protected by a CAPTCHA or something, this won't stop them completely, but will make it a little harder for them.

In addition, for the forms, DO NOT use standard form field names (e.g. txtusername for the username), use something specific to your site, for example;

Code: Select all

<input type="text" name="txtRandomField1">
<input type="text" name="txtRandomField2">

etc etc ....

Again, this won't stop them for long, but will make it harder for them to know which values go into which fields.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with Perl, so cannot help as far as Perl solutions for this. The only thing I could suggest is to have the registration form in PHP, then include the SBST to filter out the spammers. If you need to stick with Perl, you may want to consider asking over at the following;

WebDeveloper.com > Server-Side Development > Perl
http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

winracer

Postby winracer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:36 am

thanks will do and keep up the good work... 1wnnr

spammers kilstb

one question in php how do you call the script?
Last edited by winracer on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:38 am

No problem, and thank you :)
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

winracer

Postby winracer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:40 am

MysteryFCM wrote:No problem, and thank you :)

one question in php how do you call the script?

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Integrating the SBST with Perl

Postby MysteryFCM » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:47 am

In PHP, the script would be called using;

// BEGIN SPAM FILTER
$curl = @curl_init();
curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_URL, 'http://temerc.com/Check_Spammers/check_spammers_plain.php?name='.$username.'&email='.$email.'&ip='.$ip);
curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_VERBOSE, 1);
curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0);
curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1);
$fspamcheck = @curl_exec($curl);
curl_close($curl);
// END SPAM FILTER

This requires cURL be available on the server, you can use file_get_contents() instead if available;

// BEGIN SPAM FILTER
$fspamcheck = file_get_contents('http://temerc.com/Check_Spammers/check_spammers_plain.php?name='.$username.'&email='.$email.'&ip='.$ip);
// END SPAM FILTER

/edit

I forgot to mention, the above would then be followed with a check to process the return value;

if(strpos($fspamcheck, 'TRUE') == true){
    die('Sorry, my spam filter flagged you as a spammer');
}
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

winracer

Postby winracer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:02 am

thanks I will give it a try also thanks about the CAPTCHA. I found one at http://www.bumblebeeware.com/captcha/

that look slike it will work.
I think I can use someting like this in perl
[code]
// BEGIN SPAM FILTER
$fspamcheck = file_get_contents('http://mysideurl/Check_Spammers/check_spammers_plain.php?name='.$username.'&email='.$email.'&ip='.$ip);
// END SPAM FILTER

if(strpos($fspamcheck, 'TRUE') == true){
die('Sorry, my spam filter flagged you as a spammer');
}

when I get your script to work in my perl code I will post what I done here for others to review

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:09 am

Much appreciated, thank you :)
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

Return to “Help and Support”