Integrating Spambot into phpnuke

Need help with fSpamList? Post here! (DO NOT post removal requests here)

Moderator: fspamlist

Old-Owl

Integrating Spambot into phpnuke

Postby Old-Owl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:57 am

First I have to say that you are doing a great job against such spam bots, really annoying. Mu English is not so good, I hope to explain things as best I can.

My homepage which can count more than 1000 users ATM, is based on phpnuke 7.9 patched and phpbb2. It was also customized to add some extra forums functions. The problem is that from time to time I suffer the attacks of such spambots they seems to be able to register despite I've enabled the capcha with $gfx_chk = 6. In particular for two days I had like 10 registrations a day, like there was a planned heavy attack.

Ok, searching around I've found your code, and now I have some technical questions:

Installation is easy in Debian etch, I have root access then was easy to upload the script. I registered to Fspamlist and Botscout and entered the API keys. (Project Honey Pot is necessary? For now I left it blank). The script was not working. I'd to create manually the database and the tables, and was still not working. The day after was working without I changed anything ?? strange. Then I said ok, let's proceed and integrate the code into the registration module. Following your instructions in phpbb2 viewtopic.php?f=71&t=6181 adding the code in the file /includes/usercp_register.php, seemed all fine. One day I tried to open my user profile (http://mywebsite/modules.php?name=Forum ... ditprofile) from the forums ad funny thing I was blocked as spam bot. I also received the mail from my site saying "The following was blocked by the fSpamlist filter" reporting Username and email blank and my IP address.

For now I removed the code, and I hope you have an idea hot to integrate it in my board. For now that's all.

Best Regards

fspamlist
Spam Fighter
Spam Fighter
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: Over an hour a day, give or take

Re: Integrating Spambot into phpnuke

Postby fspamlist » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:17 am

Hmm, that's very odd. I've checked on FSpamlist and your IP address (the one logged here anyways) isn't listed in the database.

Hopefully MysteryFCM will be around here shortly to help you out. He is the one that wrote all of the forum mods so maybe he will be of more help.
Your situation sounds very strange though...

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
PC time: What else is there in life?

Postby TeMerc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:20 am

fspamlist wrote:Hmm, that's very odd. I've checked on FSpamlist and your IP address (the one logged here anyways) isn't listed in the database.

Hopefully MysteryFCM will be around here shortly to help you out. He is the one that wrote all of the forum mods so maybe he will be of more help.
Your situation sounds very strange though...
MysteryFCM will offline most of the day due to family issues. But maybe he'll check in real quick and see this.

Just wanted to alert you to the possibility he may not answer very timely like he usually does.

Old-Owl

Postby Old-Owl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Thank you for the fastest replies.

About this issue I think isn't so strange because phpnuke behave not like a simple phpbb2 installation. I am sure that you should look how phpnuke works and then make a new topic for this product.

I am sorry to know that MysteryFCM have family issues. I wont hurry him for any fast reply. I'll check your forums every some days. In the meanwhile I can still handle the spambots just deleting their accounts.

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
PC time: What else is there in life?

Postby TeMerc » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:36 pm

Old-Owl wrote:I am sorry to know that MysteryFCM have family issues. I wont hurry him for any fast reply. I'll check your forums every some days. In the meanwhile I can still handle the spambots just deleting their accounts.
These are not 'bad' family issues, he's just away from a kb for most of the day. I think it's his birthday or was it yesterday?

fspamlist
Spam Fighter
Spam Fighter
PC time: Over an hour a day, give or take

Postby fspamlist » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:32 pm

I've removed those entries you pm'd me from the database. Hope this helps!

-Josh

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Sorry for taking so long to notice this, was offline for most of the 14th as it was my birthday, and busy as hell yesterday catching up with work.

Let me know if you're still having issues :)
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

Old-Owl

Postby Old-Owl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:31 am

Actually I've restored the original usercp_register.php so the problem is disappeared.
The bots can still register either I've tried to add in .htaccess more than 5500 blacklisted IP's in the apache2 root.
I test the new registrations manually and in the most cases I have such results:

Code: Select all

Spammer identified!
Checking fSpamList ....
E-mail:   No matches found ....
IP:   No matches found ....
Username:   No matches found ....
Checking StopForumSpam ....
Checking BotScout ....
Checking Undisposable ....
Checking DNS Blacklists ....
ProjectHoneyPot:   Query skipped
Sorbs:   No matches found ....
Spamhaus:   IP found! (PBL - Spamhaus Maintained)
SpamCop:   No matches found ....
DroneBL:   IP found!
AHBL:   No matches found ....
Tornevall:   IP found!
EFNet:   IP found!
Tor:   No matches found ....

What I like to know is how to integrate your tool into phpnuke 7.9, because here I don't find a guide.
If you need the original file to check I can try to send it to you or give you a link where to download what you need.

Thank you :)

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:08 am

If you can send me your phpnuke registration file, I'll take a look, but if it's only the phpBB2 part of it you need it integrated into, the phpBB2 mod guide should be sufficient?
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

Return to “Help and Support”