Possibly Integrating fspamlist into ZB Block

Need help with fSpamList? Post here! (DO NOT post removal requests here)

Moderator: fspamlist

zaphod
Area Of Expertise: XP, PHP
experience: Just call me Mr. Gates
PC time: What else is there in life?

Possibly Integrating fspamlist into ZB Block

Postby zaphod » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:56 am

Got some questions before I attempt this.

1. Will each of my users have to have a register for a key? Or can I provide a 2 part key, a preamble saying "this is a ZB Block" followed by their decimal IP? (So fakers can be easily booted when part two is checked against their IP) An example would be like, ZBB-1089055075 which would mean "ZB Block on 64.233.169.99" (google)(yes, dream big). Of course ZB Block would only check the IP address on attempted registrations, as it does now with hosts-file.net and stopforumspam.com. It would never be checking usernames, or e-mails, as this is not in it's scope.

I want to avoid having users sign up anywhere else, because ZB Block is designed to start working, and working well, out of the box. I could make it an "offline till keyed" function, but that wouldn't be as cool IMHO.

2. Ah, also pertinent, will checking fspamlist list add any functionality to ZB Block that it does not already get from checking hosts-file.net and stopforumspam.com , or is there replication from it's service to one of those two others?

Thanks,
Zap :)

P.S. ZB Block does damn good at detecting RFIs, SQL injections, nesting attacks, script injection wedges, and directory recursion attempts, is there a black/blocklist anywhere I could have it submit such attempts to, to strengthen other people's protection scripts?
Get Protected, Stay Protected...
SpambotSecurity.com , The home of ZB Block

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Possibly Integrating fspamlist into ZB Block

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:48 am

#1. Each user will need their own API key

#2. Whilst I own hpHosts and host fSpamlist, there is no replication between the two, nor is their replication between fSpamlist and any other website. fSpamlist's DB is it's own, and has the advantage of having myself and Josh (fSpamlists owner) looking after it ;) (and of course, IP's caught by the SBST, submitted to it where applicable)

With ref to your "P.S", there's nowhere available at present, but I could probably setup something for you to submit them to?
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

zaphod

Postby zaphod » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:27 am

MysteryFCM wrote:#1. Each user will need their own API key

Cool enough, I will get it working, and have it remain offline till the owner puts a key into the INI (will not attempt access if key is a null $tring.)

MysteryFCM wrote:#2. Whilst I own hpHosts and host fSpamlist, there is no replication between the two, nor is their replication between fSpamlist and any other website.

Well, that pretty much says I must get ZB Block working with it.

MysteryFCM wrote:With ref to your "P.S", there's nowhere available at present, but I could probably setup something for you to submit them to?

Hell yes, I would love to help you design a web interfaced automatic reporting database for automatic defense systems. Just a few points to keep in mind...
  1. It should use a key, probably the same key as used by the site owner with fspamlist.
  2. It should be mirrorable on other sites, as it will be a target of skiddies to knock offline to push through attacks. Saftey in numbers.
  3. It should have a hardened interface... Key, numeric IPs, status codes (types of attack), and UNIX epoch timestamp only. This would help make it DNSBL queryable. wip.xip.yip.zip.key.<seconds old, or newer freshness allowed>.host.tld answering back 127.x.y.z where x & y = 16 bit status code field (16 kinds of attack, multiples type allowed) and z is a logarithmic threat score, ^2 (times seen inside of the allowable freshness date). A score of 0 being 0, 1 being 1, and 2 being 2, but 3 is 4, 4 is 8, 5 is 16, 6 being 32, ad nauseam.
  4. Database should be published every so often so security analysts can compile heatmaps, or whatever, denoting where the bad blocks of IPs are so they can make more concise range blocking lists or such (Allowing for lower load on the live database system).

Your thoughts?

Zap :)
Get Protected, Stay Protected...
SpambotSecurity.com , The home of ZB Block

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:55 am

I'll not be able to do anything within the next week or so as I've got other commitments, but fire me an e-mail with the details of what you're in need of, and I'll sort it out when I've got some time :)
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

zaphod

Postby zaphod » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:09 am

Wilco!