error

Need help with fSpamList? Post here! (DO NOT post removal requests here)

Moderator: fspamlist

phillw
Area Of Expertise: Linux - LAMP
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: About 3 hours a day

error

Postby phillw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 am

Hi,
I've been following the module since I bumped into it on the stopforumspam list of utilities. I've set up a phpbb3 forum & updated it to v3.0.6. I popped the module on, and proceeded to set it up - but, obviously, I've goofed something up !!

I get the error message [qoute]
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_user.php on line 1475: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: Unable to access /subdomains/forum/httpdocs/play_stuff_1/Check_Spammers/check_spammers_plain.php?name=kdfgksf&email=iredjbo84@propertymarbella.com&ip=89.240.144.80
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_user.php on line 1475: file_get_contents(/subdomains/forum/httpdocs/play_stuff_1/Check_Spammers/check_spammers_plain.php?name=kdfgksf&email=iredjbo84@propertymarbella.com&ip=89.240.144.80) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

[/quote]

Code: Select all

/subdomains/forum/httpdocs/play_stuff_1/Check_Spammers/check_spammers_plain.php
is deffinately where the file is <?>

I'm guessing it may be a permissions thing - what should they be set to for the Check_Spammers folder, and any files within it.
The check_spammers_plain.php is set as 644 - not sure if it needs to be 655 ?

Thanks,

Phill.

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: error

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:30 am

Generic settings are fine for the files as they're just (basically) standard PHP webpage files. From the looks of the error, it's indicating the possibility of file_get_contents() not being available?
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

phillw

Postby phillw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Hmm, it appears to be the case :cry:

I can run file_get_contents on my local server, but not on the remote server. Is this an omission I should chase up with them ?

Thanks,

Phill.

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:34 pm

I'd certainly recommend it, yes.

In the meantime, you should be able to dynamically enable it by popping a custom php.ini into the SBST folder with the allow_url_fopen directive set to on.
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

phillw

Postby phillw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks,

I've had a quick chat with guy who does my hosting - he's got to file a ticket to get it turned on.

I had to contact eNom to change my php.ini settings before, and they do this because they have had problems with people accidently deleting major parts of the system.

Which seems fair enough by me - saves headache tech-support calls .... "You did WHAT ???!"

I'll post back if there are any problems once the function is turned on - I'm glad to finally have a go with the system, I've been itching to for about 6 months !!

Regards,

Phill.

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:41 pm

My pleasure :)
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

phillw

Postby phillw » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:29 pm

MysteryFCM wrote:I'd certainly recommend it, yes.

In the meantime, you should be able to dynamically enable it by popping a custom php.ini into the SBST folder with the allow_url_fopen directive set to on.

Hi,

I added the bit the host provided didn't tell me when they said to put it in the .htaccess file (we don't have custom php.ini ones) over at viewtopic.php?f=71&t=6789

But, since then, I've come across another problem (And, again I cannot scream and shout at the host provider, they're keeping things locked down nice and tight) .

I can't access files by specific paths upwards of the installation directory for the phpbb3 board.

So,
/subdomains/forum/httpdocs/play_stuff_1/Check_Spammers/check_spammers_plain.php

is a no go, I'm going to have to put it into a directory here
phillw.net / subdomains / forum / httpdocs

The part I'm not sure about is the setting the path up for it - If it is insistent on absolute path names, then I've got a real problem. If it is okay with accepting httpdocs as its / directory, or I can give a path relative to the phpbb code, than I'm okay to go.

cache, includes, docs, downloads et all, all live as directories in httpdocs with just a few php files for the phpbb3 board itself in that directory.

I hope that makes sense to you, as you can tell, I'm still learning about how servers work !! (It's much easier on my local LAMP system - lol)

Regards,

Phill.

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:45 pm

hehe sounds like a whole host of fun!

Bear in mind, the forum mods require the check_spammers_plain.php file be accessed as a web page, and not a normal file (i.e. you must use "http://domain/path/etc.php")
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

phillw

Postby phillw » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:11 pm

MysteryFCM wrote:hehe sounds like a whole host of fun!

Bear in mind, the forum mods require the check_spammers_plain.php file be accessed as a web page, and not a normal file (i.e. you must use "http://domain/path/etc.php")

http://forum.phillw.net/anything.php will take you straight to anything.php

Whilst it is somewhat annoying, at times, having thought I'd protected my trial server and it being tunelled through, I am pretty much happy with the fact they keep it locked down like a bad jail, with specific permission required to relax any of the rules.

Remote URL injections using allow_url_fopen NOTE: if enabled, allow_url_fopen allows PHP’s file functions — such as file_get_contents() and the include and require statements — can retrieve data from remote locations, like an FTP or web site. . The problem is that this function is enabled by default in standard PHP configuration which means that you should disable it in order to prevent some of the serious PHP code exploits. Note that (from my experience) the actual Remote URL file inclusion is used in extremely rare cases which pretty much gives you the possibility to have this function disabled by default. From around 4,000 websites we had only 2 or 3 to use it.

Is why they want things locked down. For that I am not going to "spit my dummy out".

Regards,

Phill.

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:45 am

I can certainly understand why they'd want it disabled, but if it's used properly (i.e. global vars are disabled, and anything passed via POST or GET is properly filtered), it's pretty safe to use.
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

phillw

Postby phillw » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:53 pm

MysteryFCM wrote:I can certainly understand why they'd want it disabled, but if it's used properly (i.e. global vars are disabled, and anything passed via POST or GET is properly filtered), it's pretty safe to use.

Hi, have you heard of
I'm dropping vBulletin, phpFox, phpBB, etc. for ideas on the site and going with a software called Boonex.com. I fell madely in love with it after seeing how it can be smoothly configured to your own liking. Plus the software is free to use, along with the ability of purchasing a license to remove their logo.

I believe it's an Australian company... not too sure yet.

I'm sorry I've not been about, my hard drive failed and I am still rebuilding my contacts list (Server keeps emails, not passwords ;-( )

And for others on here, you are welcome to have a look see at Web Hosting I assure you it is not spam, My testimonials on that Wiki area should be enough to confirm that.

Thanks for keeping up the fight against those 'sad people'.

Regards,

Phill.

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:37 am

I've not actually heard of that one, no. Let me know how you get on with it :)
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

Return to “Help and Support”