difference online version 0.41 and download version 0.41

Need help with fSpamList? Post here! (DO NOT post removal requests here)

Moderator: fspamlist

mick-ws

difference online version 0.41 and download version 0.41

Postby mick-ws » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:16 am

Spambot search tool: I have been doing some testing so that I can integrate the tool with some of my sites. These are some points from the testing:

1) I have installed the tool locally and the results it is showing are different from http://temerc.com/Check_Spammers/ even though they are both version 0.41.

When I check 205.209.134.60 on both the locally installed tool and temerc, I find that temerc shows the IP as clean and the local version as been a spammer. It seems that the downloaded version (0.41) is not checking the first returned octet for '127' as per http://projecthoneypot.org/httpbl_api.php instructions

2) Also, the local version has that same ip (205.209.134.60) as existing on Sorbs etc. When I check Sorbs the IP is not in their database. The online version on temerc is showing the ip as clean

3) When I check the local version (check_spammers.php) against the integrated version (check_spammers_plain.php), one says that 205.209.134.60 is a spammer and the other returns 'false'

Is 0.41 the latest version?

BTW: the spambots directory should be placed in config.php line 67 ($sSaveTo = dirname(__FILE__).'/spambots/';) The distributed version of config.php has $sSaveTo = dirname(__FILE__).'/';

Regards
Mick

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: difference online version 0.41 and download version 0.41

Postby MysteryFCM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks for letting me know. I'd updated the example config but forgot to release the updated file, I'll do that asap.

I've checked the SBST on several servers and can't reproduce the rest of the behaviour, suggesting either missing API keys, or a required part of PHP isn't available.

Can you do some debugging for me please? First and foremost, test whether cURL and file_get_contents() are both available or not (it should drop back to cURL if FGC isn't available).

Could you also modify the output so we can see exactly what's being returned?

The 127 octet wasn't checked as it should always be 127 unless an error has occured. The attached includes a modification that checks this is present, and notify's you if it isn't. The files can be extracted to the SBST directory and just over-write the existing copy of the files.
Attachments
check_spammers.zip
v0.41a
(46.18 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

mick-ws

Postby mick-ws » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Steven, httbl is returning Error: 89.234.64.4 for ip 205.209.134.60.

I think the "89" is because the ip used to be on the blacklist but is now either off the list or else is whitelisted. Either way the return code is not "127".

You can see the result on http://workspace.ie/check/

Below the "check button" and above the results I am echoing both the input and output from httbl.

You can also see on the results Sorbs, Tornevall, & EFNet are showing the IP to be found.

If you need to talk to me or get access to the directory just email me and I'll set you you.

Thanks
Mick

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:03 am

Definately curious. Could you verify with your hosting company that gethostbyname() is available.

In the meantime, could e-mail me a copy of the SBST files you're using (including the config.php), and let me know your sites server specs (PHP version, OS etc).

steven @ it-mate.co.uk
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

mick-ws

Postby mick-ws » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Update on this issue in case anyone thinks there is a problem with spambot search tool.

The tool works great and as described in both the online and downloaded versions.

The differences in reporting that I had between the online version and the downloaded version of the tool is due to gethostbyname() issues with my hosting company.

Don't let this thread stop you from implementing. This tool is a must for all websites that have any sort of form or user input.

Thanks to Steven for all his help.

Mick

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:11 pm

My pleasure, and thank you :)
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts