[CODE] Integrating the spam filter into MediaWiki

Mods for various forums/blogs for use with the SBST

Moderator: fspamlist

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

[CODE] Integrating the spam filter into MediaWiki

Postby MysteryFCM » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:34 am

I am happy to announce a new mod that allows MediaWiki users to use the Spambot Search Tool. The mod has been written by MediaWiki user, Carl Bennett, and can be found at;

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Check_Spambots

The above also contains instructions for integrating the mod into MediaWiki, along with the wrapper necessary to do such.

See also:

http://mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Keeping it FREE!

TeraS
Area Of Expertise: Just starting out...
experience: N00b...I know a lil bit
PC time: More than 4 hours a day

Re: [CODE] Integrating the spam filter into MediaWiki

Postby TeraS » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:19 pm

YAAAY!!!!

Thankies!!!

Tera
Thank you for calling TeraS, Queen of the Succubi... Please wait and she will be with you shortly...

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:57 pm

Glad we could help :)

And sorry for not getting time to do this myself :(
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

Lwangaman

Postby Lwangaman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:07 am

So it's been a year since this post... Well I've just begun a small wiki recently and I found and downloaded and installed the Check_Spambots Extension. Works fairly well but it still gives some errors. For example it could not create correctly the necessary tables in the database, I had to copy the SQL code from within the extension for the table creation and I pasted it into PhpMyAdmin. Looking at the code I see that it tries to create a database, well on most shared-hosting webservers you don't have the permissions to create a new database, so before resorting to PhpMyAdmin I tried commenting out the database creation and leaving just the table creation part, but that still didn't work. Now that I've created manually the necessary table it seems to be working alright, I got the necessary keys from the different services. But I often get this annoying message at the top-left corner of the screen, for example whenever I save an edit or when I manually put a block on a spammer ip address:

ERROR: could not connect to fSpamlist server [http://www.fspamlist.com/xml.php?key=MY_KEY&spammer=MY_EMAIL,MY_IP,wikisysop]

for my edits (where MY_KEY, MY_EMAIL and MY_IP are actually my key, my email, and my ip) or

ERROR: could not connect to fSpamlist server [http://www.fspamlist.com/xml.php?key=MY_KEY&spammer=NO_EMAIL,SPAMMER_IP,NO_USER]

for spammer blocks, where there is no email or username but only the spammer ip.
If I try copying this address and pasting it directly in the address bar, I get a correct query with a true / false answer.
I've got a hunch that the extension isn't able to do the call because I'm using altervista free shared hosting, which places restrictions on server-to-server calls, and only supports fopen or fsockopen (it doesn't support file_get_contents). I'll try looking into what method the extension uses and to what my settings are in my altervista account and see if that takes care of it...

Lwangaman

Postby Lwangaman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:41 am

Ok I enabled server-to-server connections from the altervista control panel and that seems to have taken care of the connection error for the fSpamlist server.

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am

Apologies for taking so long. The connection error was due to connectivity issues at my local exchange, which shut off access to fspamlist.com;

http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2010/10/net ... ntime.html

fspamlist.com has been moved to a temporary external server whilst the issues are confirmed as resolved.
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

Lwangaman

Postby Lwangaman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:24 pm

I have recently been having database errors when trying to edit a page or view special pages or template pages on my wiki. I tried updating the database scheme by re-installing the wiki but keeping the LocalSettings.php; I tried doing a server restore on the database; but none of these solved the problem. So then I tried disabling one by one the extensions I had in LocalSettings.php, and it turns out that it was CheckSpambots that was creating the error. Initially BotScout had somehow registered me as a spammer on their list (how does that happen? I saw it happened to a lot of other wiki sysops too and you have to ask them to take you back off; they did take me off yesterday), while that was in effect I could no longer access my wiki, now that this is no longer the case I am getting these errors:

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): 51 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /membri/flatnuxwiki/wiki/includes/db/DatabaseMysql.php on line 280

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): 51 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /membri/flatnuxwiki/wiki/includes/db/DatabaseMysql.php on line 280

Warning: mysql_query(): 51 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /membri/flatnuxwiki/wiki/includes/db/DatabaseMysql.php on line 16

Warning: mysql_errno(): 51 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /membri/flatnuxwiki/wiki/includes/db/DatabaseMysql.php on line 211

Warning: mysql_errno(): 51 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /membri/flatnuxwiki/wiki/includes/db/DatabaseMysql.php on line 211

Database error

A database error has occurred
Query: SELECT lc_value FROM `fnwiki_l10n_cache` WHERE lc_lang = '' AND lc_key = '' LIMIT 1
Function: LCStore_DB::get
Error:

It sure is coming from CheckSpambots because I no longer get these errors if I disable it.
Do you know what the problem could be?

MysteryFCM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MysteryFCM » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Going on the SQL string you've posted, it looks like the lang and key vars are empty.

Can you try dumping the query to the browser to see what its sending and returning?
Regards

Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Keeping it FREE!

Return to “Mods”