Update Layout Suggestion

Tell us what you think of the place, and what you would like to see.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderators

Johnincal
Moderators
Moderators
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: About 3 hours a day

Update Layout Suggestion

Postby Johnincal » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:56 am

Because the forum layout has changed, showing the post in ascending date instead of the descending date, I think you should create a child thread for the older posts and a main thread showing the current updates. Take "MS Security Bulletin Advance Notifications" for instance. You have to scroll through pages of old updates to find the current update.

Now, this is going to pain me to say, but I think doing the forum the way it currently is makes sense. As you know, I was a stanch supporter of showing the latest posts first, but what I didn't consider is people who visit the forum for the first time, or people who do not visit that often, check out a thread and the top post is in the middle of a discussion, people don't know what the heck is going on unless they scroll or page to the first post.

But, it does not make sense to go through pages to get the latest updates. Either show the current update as a single post, with the past updates on another thread, or if you can, tweak the thread so just that one thread shows in descending date.

I would be interested what everyone thinks.

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

Re: Update Layout Suggestion

Postby TeMerc » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:11 pm

The way the forums are displayed can be controlled via each members UCP. By default it is set to 'descending'. I just checked with my test box.

I was hyped about this new software because it gave everyone a choice instead of them having to read the forum the way that I wanted it to read.

I don't think you can make each thread display differently, it's either one or the other.

But Steven may know how, we'll see what he has to say.

And the MS update thread was just trimmed. I archived most of them and left a few. I do however need to edit the first post there advising users to 'scroll down' as this is no longer the case.

Return to “Site Feedback and Suggestions”