TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Area Of Expertise: Security
experience: I know the functions, OS settings, registry tweaks and more
PC time: What else is there in life?

TeMerc Using Windows 8

Postby TeMerc » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:48 pm

Hey all(the 3-4 of you out here anyways), been using W8 now for about 2 months or so.

First impressions were harsh, it didn't look like any 'normal' Windows previous version, not remotely. It's designed more for users who use Windows Mobile or Surface maybe.

Finding something familiar was annoying, they did a lousy job of making it user friendly for those who do not use Windows Mobile.

I'm an Android guy with absolutely no intention of changing anytime soon. So I won't be posting about any apps or any of that, everyone else can feel free to do so tho.

Once I got a start menu tool from Stardock, I was ok

Still has some things that bug me, seems most actions take extra clicks and you can't tab thru alot of fields. And that really bugs the =+\ out of me. I hate using the mouse.

Here are a couple of links I've found useful so far:
1-Bleeping Windows 8 Tutorials
2-Ed Bott Top 10 W8 Questions
3-Windows 8 Forums. These guys also have a great W7 forum.
4- Windows Secrets W8 Forums

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent
Area Of Expertise: More tinkering in hardware than software
PC time: Alot more than I should

Re: TeMerc Using Windows 8

Postby Mindblower » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:43 am

Just killed my reply. =+\ My first impressions of Windows 8 without a Start Menu was what delayed my entry (on my main computer). Was not going to play with tiles, buttons, touch screens, and anything that silly. Also wish I knew of those articles and help related articles (thanks for sharing). Found another Start Menu called Classic Shell, download here, a free open source version.

My biggest problem was the way information was presented on the screen during the upgrade. Received an email, with an upgrade price of only $45, too good to be true. It installed right over my existing XP. Almost all my programs were compatible, and a few just needed an update. What was missing from all the notes, is that I'd have to re-install all my programs, security, etc. During the many reboots, it looked like everything was fine, minus the toolbar. Only then, after I got my Start installed, I noticed why a reboot was lightning fast (not that it's noticeably slow now, with my junk installed), just a heads up would be nice. It's only a week or so, and I find likes and dislikes with 8 and IE10.

I took the advice and increased my screen resolution to it's max, and find that both IE and FF remember the screen sizes of the sites I visit (who is responsible for this, I'm not sure), but I like this a lot. Copying and moving files is simpler using TeraCopy and 8 has made using this program even better (from XP). More links of places visited, so actually not sure if it takes more or less clicks, just that it's easier to locate the directories.

Still have loads of programs to install, so only then will I know if it was truly worth the re-learning. One added feature I've noticed, is my toolbar is fixed, and hovering over the IE, FF, and running program ICONS, displays a small screen of the actual, which is nice, Mindblower!
A converted Windows 8 user (using third party programs to ease the transition)

Spudz
Area Of Expertise: General guidance and advice
experience: Not only can I turn PC on, I know most of its functions too

Postby Spudz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 am

I think I will pass on Windows 8 for now and wait for the next version. Hopefully it will be a vast improvement.

Must say I am getting quite fond of touch screens (Bought a Blackberry Playbook 7" 64gb) but the RIM browser is bugging the =+\ out of me. Bombarded with invasive adverts I can't stop :(

One thing is sure, my trusty old PC remains my machine of choice and will for a long time yet.
Spam - Uninteresting garbage quickly deleted.
Spammer - A parasitic worm intent on creating internet misery.

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Spudz, the clock is still counting down on XP (April 2014). Vista is also expiring soon, then 7, finally 8. Each has a learning curve, and each new o/s alters in an upward or forward direction. Since M$ removed the Start Menu, making 8 more tablet touch screen friendly, =+\ ((O ((O ,I have serious doubts that 9 will be going retro.

Yes, touching tablets and cells phones might be handy, but for desktops or laptops used on flat (fixed surfaces) and keyboard/mouse attachments, and a larger screen, clicking onto icons is still what many prefer.

As the older generation (hear them being referred to as silver surfers) have, =+\ , well, I think the keyboard and mouse combo are easier to manage, Mindblower!

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:04 am

I can easily port my other XP machines to Vista to get a bit longer (2-3 years more) out of them when XP finally dies. There is always Linux which is growing in user numbers and looks to be a favourite if Windows carries on with their current path.

Businesses and users have expressed their dissatisfaction with Windows 8 which has had some influence on Microsoft IMO. From what I have been reading, the current CEO is on dodgy ground by pushing tablets and an OS mainly suited to those devices. If he doesn't improve on the next Windows version, I am sure he will be ousted.

Microsoft and the Dell partnership leaves me wondering what is coming next!

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:44 am

I for one don't see MS changing the direction towards mobile computing cross accessing from desktop to other mobile devices.

If anything, this will expand in other ways, think cars and home connection devices, like refrigerators, TVs(already doing this)

I don't see this as a big mistake, a bit risky, but user will become more and more mobile as time goes on, eventually almost not having desktops much at all.

So don't expect any type of reversion to the 'normal' Windows format as we know it now, the new mobile style is here to stay

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:45 am

Remember I'm a Die Hard XP fan. I still use (rely on) XP with my other computers. Decided the price and time was right to at least get a heads up start (pun here) on the future with M$.

I'm also trying to forecast the future (like I had any insight). :? It's more of a security stand, allowing me to have certain paid for programs work. Not all are friendly outside Windows (a few will only work up to XP), just as not all my computers require Internet access.

Computers are nothing more than a tool, and that's where I might differ with other users. I still have and use DOS 486 models (there were really built to last).

As to touching appliances, the cost factor is still high if you mean the advanced technology of connecting to Internet, etc.

Touch pads as in Microwave ovens and stoves (maybe even washer and driers), exist because they're cheaper than mechanical units (more complex and take more room). Then, these pads are simple, but as I mentioned, I'm no forecaster on trends. Believe the cost is what dictates many purchases, Mindblower!

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 am

More on the predicted demise of 'desktops' as we know them here from InfoWorld

I really can see this becoming more and more common that users forgo the common desktop for 'mobile' devices. And this, the MS 'touch' ting with W8 isn't that far off. Their biggest issues is playing catch up with devices and trying to compete for
'value' against the others.

I already use my Samsung Tablet alot thru the day sitting on the couch.

therock247uk
MS-MVP
MS-MVP

Postby therock247uk » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:49 pm

i guess we all need to move on from the old ways ie the start menu :(
testing

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:51 am

But tablets just don't cut it when gaming. Take World of Warcraft for example, totally unplayable on a tablet due to the amount of keypresses needed. Desktops will still be the gamers choice in these instances and the gaming market is a big chunk of the userbase therefore I don't see desktops dying that quickly. The beauty of the desktop is in the ease in upgrading hardware, something not easily done with tablets, laptops or the combination of the two in one. The new tablet/notebook could be the demise of the desktop if it is developed right but certainly not in the next couple of years imo.

I must say I enjoyed my playbook tablet due to the convenience of using it around the house/garden (portability).

Perhaps I am suffering with the age blues where some changes are harder to accept each passing year. :(

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 am

Wisely worded Spudz. I believe there is a place for all forms of computers. Portability and a fixed location have worked for the radio stereo. It's not that one must adapt and change, but embrace a newer concept without removing what already works.

As for the Start menu (and other features M$ forgets about), there are companies who thrive on finding the fixes. These are the heroes, Mindblower!

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:36 am

Spudz wrote:But tablets just don't cut it when gaming. Take World of Warcraft for example, totally unplayable on a tablet due to the amount of keypresses needed. Desktops will still be the gamers choice in these instances and the gaming market is a big chunk of the userbase therefore I don't see desktops dying that quickly. The beauty of the desktop is in the ease in upgrading hardware, something not easily done with tablets, laptops or the combination of the two in one. The new tablet/notebook could be the demise of the desktop if it is developed right but certainly not in the next couple of years imo.

I must say I enjoyed my playbook tablet due to the convenience of using it around the house/garden (portability).

Perhaps I am suffering with the age blues where some changes are harder to accept each passing year. :(

Gamers are a niche, unless you supply specific stuff for gamers, I don't consider them a real target audience for the big PC OEMs.

I can't imagine anyone using tablets for gaming either.

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 pm

More on the MS continued push for W8 and mobile devices and what may be coming, suggestions to fix what's wrong now and more can be found on The Verge

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:16 am

Microsoft has referred to Windows 8 as a "no compromises" approach to an operating system, built for desktops, tablets, and laptops.

It nice to hear these words, but why did M$ omit to include a tiny shell program so as to not frustrate users with a NO Start Button? It's refreshing there are programmers who are able to boldly go the distance and supply the patches M$ thought to forget. ((O

Though I enjoy the comfort a laptop offers, when near my monitor (even TV with computer input options), I prefer to view on a larger screen. But, I'm used to spoiling myself, Mindblower!

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:33 am

TeMerc wrote:Gamers are a niche, unless you supply specific stuff for gamers, I don't consider them a real target audience for the big PC OEMs.

I can't imagine anyone using tablets for gaming either.

Admittedly tablets are the focus by Big PC OEMs and will only get worse as looking around in the high streets shows numerous people glued to smartphone and tablets oblivious to all about them. Gamers and their systems are an invisible entity.

I see Firefox have released a version for general testing on Windows 8. Not sure if you guys have seen this and may want to test it out. Firefox with Windows 8 UI arrives in Nightly channel

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 am

Hate to admit, but I have relatives who are of this younger (in mind and spirit) swing crowd, tablet users. They also use those overloaded phones to text, take pictures, videos, surf the net, etc.

They don't understand me, and vise versa. Only true constant is that I've been using (exposed to) computers from very young, and they waited till recently to join the wave. This might explain the different approach to computing devices.

I look at computers as a tool, they embarrass computers as an extension of their body, something they cannot life without. Who knew the Borg would win, Mindblower! wrshp

therock247uk
MS-MVP
MS-MVP

Postby therock247uk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 am

i can say i dont get along with touch screens!!
testing

mikey
Countermeasures Team
Countermeasures Team

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:10 pm

IMO and as noted by others, it is basically a hand held OS.

Personally, I really like the slates for being able to move around...especially for techs who constantly move from station to station or folks doing inventories and such.

However, I'm not one of those who thinks that the desktop is dead. Not yet anyway. :)

Power users have had 15+ yrs to master multi-tasking. Even if remote computing(Cloud etc), I can't see the time yet when any other than casual users would ever be satisfied with the very limited abilities.

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:44 am

I had hoped someone else would of commented, so here goes.
IMO and as noted by others, it is basically a hand held OS.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. It's a given that Windows 8 allows users that touch screen ability, but it's the hardware (as in the monitors, cell phone, tablets) which makes this possible.

I've replaced my XP with Windows 8, installed the Classic Shell program to bring back the Start Screen, and apart from improvements Windows 8 offers, I hardly feel any difference between XP and Windows 8. Am still able to use a regular screen, keyboard, mouse, so NO touchy feely for me. I find it odd that those who should know better, are often those who know less (a pity), Mindblower!

mikey
Countermeasures Team
Countermeasures Team

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 am

Wrong? Perhaps, but IMO the comparison between W7 & W8 is very similar to the comparison between W2k & XP. XP was pretty by comparison but with 100 times less ability.

If you moved directly from XP to W8, I'm sure you find W8 to be a very good desktop solution.

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 am

Thank you mikey, as my comment was NOT intended to attack you. Wish you had mentioned those comparisons earlier so we could of avoided any misunderstandings.

One question though, if you're using Windows 8, do you find it more stable than Windows 7. Coming from XP, I've experienced a much more solid o/s, less need to reboot, almost no freezes, and that's using both 32 and 64 bit versions, Mindblower!

mikey
Countermeasures Team
Countermeasures Team

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 am

Sorry, I guess it has become a habit in these W8 discussions for me to assume the comparison.

More stable than W7? I don't think I really have an answer for that. None of our W8s are up constantly. I can tell you that, even tho we have license to do so, we have no immediate plans to change our local SOHO primary systems(W7U). Nor would I suggest as much to one of my clients.

As for down time; My primary admin station stays up 24/7 except for the routine update requirements of a reboot(since May 2010). Ref; http://forums.voiceofthepublic.com/M_PC ... 21011.html This is actually the first time in history where our Windows implementations exceed the performance of our RHELs.

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Nice to here mikey. I thought I'd stay with XP till the end of 13, or early 14, but the offer to upgrade (price wise) was too good to believe. Don't enjoy switching to another o/s, till the last possible moment, if it works properly, as XP still does. Have one computer which also serves as a telephone call interceptor (only known calls get through - telemarketers and unknowns get blocked), so it's on 24/7. Another gets my tv torrents, plays music, shows, so it's also on almost 24/7. This way all required patches and updates get through immediately.

So as for stability, in the short few months, it's much better than XP, as it's able to correct most problems without a salute, Mindblower!

TeMerc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TeMerc » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:38 am

mikey wrote:More stable than W7? I don't think I really have an answer for that. None of our W8s are up constantly. I can tell you that, even tho we have license to do so, we have no immediate plans to change our local SOHO primary systems(W7U). Nor would I suggest as much to one of my clients.
I see this recommendation alot from IT teams and IT techs in general.

Very few are jumping on the W8 train at all, even now, a good while after its release. I just had my brother in law order a new Dell, told him to be sure he got it with W7 so he's at least be in familiar territory. He's an AOL user so he's especially dumber than most. :mrgreen:

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:03 am

Now thaqt I have had time to get used to Windows 8 on my laptop, I actually find it ok, for the most part. It wasn't the horrific experience I was expecting but I still umm and arr if Windows 7 would have been more suitable. Guess the only way is to get a Windows 7 machine and have the best of both worlds.

Mindblower
Countermeasures Agent
Countermeasures Agent

Postby Mindblower » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:28 am

Spudz, are you using the apps or did you install a Start menu? Forgot to mention that the START8 utility works on/for Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, conversion wise, Mindblower!

Spudz

Postby Spudz » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:01 am

Am using Windows 8 Pro without any start menu application. Not really having an problems without it as I seem to be adapting quite easily enough. The machine had some applications (apps) installed with the OS but few I actually use and some were uninstalled, namely those that bore the hell out of me such as sports, news, travel and music.

Return to “Windows 8”